Public Relations Manager
The Public Relations Manager is responsible for daily contact between the agency and one or more client accounts. The Public Relations Manager interfaces with various agency departments to create, edit, deliver and move PR projects that integrate with marketing programs or stand alone on behalf of the client including initiatives around special events, media relations, social media, corporate communications or public affairs/community relations.
The Public Relations Manager has major input in developing strategic marketing PR plans for their clients alongside their senior manager and the strategic lead. After plans are developed and presented to clients, the Public Relations Manager is responsible for carrying out the plan on a daily basis and tracking for return on investment in conjunction with the PR Account Coordinator (who holds ultimate accountability for the PR Clip Report).
A successful Public Relations Manager will demonstrate expertise on client’s business, products, customers, competition, business problems and opportunities and the ability to use that information to meet or exceed client needs.
• Work in two roles for respective clients: media relations, marketing or social media.
• Takes proactive ownership of client work and manages work autonomously.
• Always positions self as the owner of the client’s reputation. Capable of thinking through reputation issues and opportunities as decisions are being made on behalf of the client’s business.
• Facilitates communication between client and agency team.
• Manages client expectations of timelines and budgets.
• Organizes and leads both client and internal meetings.
• Facilitates the development of the client’s PR plan.
• Prepares and stewards tactics and timelines.
• Secures approval of production estimates and oversee production budgets.
• Takes responsibility for the accuracy and completeness of all client work.
• Ensures all media and projects proceed according to plan and deadlines, drawing attention of supervisor to potential problems before they occur.
• Maintain complete and accurate digital and hard copy files on all client jobs (including documentation of approvals), PR plans and client correspondence.
• Proofread copy, artwork, agency and printers’ proofs.
• Collaborates with supervisor to develop/execute research initiatives.
• Maintains weekly status reports and leads client status meetings.
• Obtain approvals from senior manager and clients.
• Manage, organize and distribute regional round-ups.
• Client event attendance.
• Develop media alerts, pitches, white papers for special events, press releases, internal communication initiatives and more while simultaneously overseeing the development, execution and follow-up for the work.
• Develop press materials on behalf of clients, including press kits, press releases and pitches.
• Distribute press releases and pitches on behalf of clients to local and regional media.
• Maintain complete and accurate media lists.
• Ensure all reporter deadlines are met.
• Prepare and maintain clip reports and live-time clip distribution, monitoring digital, broadcast, print and social media coverage.
• Organize and prepare media relations portion of meeting agendas.
• Develop and foster relationships with local and regional media and digital influencers.
• Provide press hits to client social media teams.
• Coordinate local and regional media opportunities for clients, including reservations, interviews, etc.
• Maintain complete and accurate digital and hard copy files on all media lists, pitch documents, press releases and outreach (including documentation of approvals), marketing and media plans and client correspondence.
• Engage with social media and marketing teammates to ensure clients events and promotions are communicated to media.
• Influencer relations.
Marketing and events
• Develop and manage marketing calendar.
• Execute marketing tactics as approved by client and managing strategic lead, such as database development, grassroots marketing engagement, etc.
• Develop and pitch creative marketing and promotions tactics.
• Obtain approvals from clients when needed to purchase television, radio or print clips.
• Proofread copy, agency and printers’ proofs as requested (for things such as websites or special events for clients).
• Manage event planning and execution logistics.
• Prepare special event production estimates and obtain client approvals.
• Coordinate in-house and out-of-house client events.
• Organize and prepare client-facing marketing briefs.
• Prepare marketing reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing data.
• Manage email marketing campaigns – content development, editorial calendar and distribution.
• Organize and prepare marketing and events portion of meeting agendas.
• Engage with media relations and social media teammates to ensure clients events and promotions are communicated across media and digital channels.
• Understand the goals, audience, visual aesthetic and voice for clients across digital channels.
• Draft content calendar and copy for client/strategic lead approval.
• Management and execution of social media content calendar.
• Monitor client’s social media platforms.
• Develop and foster relationships with digital influencers on behalf of agencies and clients.
• Respond to social media messages and inquiries on behalf of clients.
• Monitor and report client social media performance on a monthly and campaign basis.
• Develop creation campaign tactics.
• Organize and prepare social media portion of meeting agendas.
• Engage with media relations and marketing teammates to ensure clients messages are integrated into content calendar.
• Influencer relations.
• Minimum 4-year college degree in public relations, English, marketing, advertising or related field.
• 3 years account management experience, preferably in an agency environment.
• Working knowledge of a PC and Microsoft Office software.
• Working knowledge of Associated Press (AP) standards.
• Expert relationship building skills.
• Candidate must work well in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment, have strong organizational and problem-solving skills, must have very good attention to detail and must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Proactive versus reactive.
Email Laura Craft at firstname.lastname@example.org.