Workplace Strategy Consultant (HIRED)
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving more than 18 million customers a week in the United States, Canada and Mexico. With fiscal year 2017 sales of $68.6 billion, Lowe’s and its related businesses operate or service more than 2,390 home improvement and hardware stores and employ over 310,000 people. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports the communities it serves through programs that focus on K-12 public education and community improvement projects. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
The principle purpose of the Workplace Management Consultant will be for the effective workplace management to develop enterprise centric strategies and management across Lowe’s geographically disbursed portfolio of over 3.5 million square feet of corporate offices, regional offices, contact centers, data centers and training centers throughout the enterprise. Major areas of focus include workplace strategy, programming, asset management, facility utilization, metrics and benchmarking, workplace/portfolio standards and guidelines, integrated workplace technology, portfolio optimization and strategy and portfolio management of over 3.5 million SF. The Workplace Management Consultant will be responsible for oversight of strategic workplace projects and delivering and maintaining consistent quality customer service, including services provided by third party contractors, while ensuring that Lowe’s maximizes the use of its corporate facilities and assets. This position will also be responsible for setting strategic workplace design standards, construction standards, integrated workplace technology and portfolio optimization across a number of corporate campuses, offices, industrial and ancillary support facilities.
Strategic workplace planning
• Manage and oversee Workplace Strategy contractors, vendors and service providers, coordinate work assignments, anticipate needs of the organization and utilize resources appropriately.
• Directs and manage workplace strategy efforts, budgets, scheduling and project management across other functional areas (i.e…IT, Procurement, Real Estate, Construction, HR, Workforce Planning) within the company.
Program and project management
• Sound understanding and development of evolving benchmarking data, architectural design standards, real estate and construction standards and how they impact and align within the organization.
• Knowledge of changes and trends in office space utilization, including floor densification, alternative furniture concepts, space sharing and alternative workplace strategies. Ability to communicate, demonstrate and implement knowledge in creating more effective and efficient work spaces.
• Responsible for managing the implementation and coordination of large strategic moves that involve a deep level of analysis and collaboration with key business partners, program to accommodate corporate churn rate while providing a high level of customer service.
• Ability to proficiently utilize various facility technologies to include Computer Assisted Facility Management (CAFM) system, Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) and Computer-Aided Design (CAD) software to effectively manage and organize headcount data, facility space plans, move management, employee location data, furniture types, etc. to ensure appropriate alignment to business units and needs. Similar management and organization of employee data from Corporate Security databases.
• Drives the development of tactical plans aligned with Corporate Facilities Department and business strategy in order to bring the vision into realization.
• Uses a critical eye to examine and streamline workflows and processes within the team, to increase efficiency.
• Develops short-term and long-term plans for Corporate Workplace Strategy initiatives.
• Drives innovation across the organization using a deep understanding of how the Corporate Facilities team works within the organization.
• Aligns the team’s time and effort on projects that are critical to delivering successful results.
• Delegates the right tasks and decisions to the people who are in the best position to execute them, which may include managing contractors, vendors and service providers.
• Provides open feedback and mentorship to peers withing Corporate Facilites to encourage growth, transparency and greater responsibility.
• Negotiates effectively for the organization with internal and external stakeholders and builds relationships with key individuals necessary for collaboration.
• Develops and presents communications, frequently to senior leadership, communicating the desired message, at the appropriate level, for the right recipient.
• Practices self-leadership and promotes learning in others by building relationships with cross-functional stakeholders, communicating information and providing advice to drive projects forward, influencing team members within assigned unit, adapting to competing demands and new responsibilities, providing feedback to others, including upward feedback to leadership.
Education and experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture or Engineering or related field plus 6 years of experience or 8+ years of experience in facilities management.
• 4+ years of experience as a Space Planner or equivalent and proven work experience in facility planning, space planning, facility utilization, program and project management for a large, geographically dispersed, campus environment.
• Proficient in computer-aided design.
• Demonstrated experience to effectively and efficiently manage and organize contract resources, service contractors, projects and programs and working cross-functionally.
• Strong communication skills.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
• Ability to travel between Corporate Facilities.
• 3+ years of experience working for an architecture firm.
• 2+ years of experience consulting clients on workplace strategies.
• Experience analyzing large amounts of data and building dashboards/KPI’s.
• Proficient in AutoCAD, Revit, Tableau, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
• Ability to keep abreast of changing headcount (associate or contractor) data and projections, as well as, approved and planned departmental moves/adds/changes to have a strong working knowledge of available options for future accommodations. Work with other functional areas within the department to have a solid knowledge of space options, cost, furniture alternatives, project schedules, timelines, interdependencies and logistics, as well as, departmental standards, policies and procedures.
• Strong experience in workplace strategy and utilization in large, geographically dispersed, campus environment.
• Strong restacking/space densification experience in large corporate office environment.