Assignment Editor (HIRED)
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary. This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
Gathers and communicates content for use on ESPN platforms, working with ESPN staff and vendors, social media, affiliates and other networks. Understands basic rights and clearances issues. Hires camera crews, books studios and arranges feeds and/or transfer of content. Strategizes and organizes movement of IP-based transmission devices for coverage. Handles all ancillary crew needs, such as technology and equipment, ethernet and fiber transmission for event coverages, as well as other duties as they are assigned. Participates in strategic editorial and logistical planning of coverage. Acts as the liaison between shows, crews in the field, Media Operations and Transmission. This position requires the ability to multi-task and think strategically, to be a self-starter and passionate about their work. Shifts will include nights and weekends.
• Reacts immediately to breaking news and requests, pursues story-related content (sound and video) in a timely manner.
• Clears social media content for ESPN platforms.
• Collaborates with ABC NewsOne/ABC affiliates, as well as other networks, on breaking news stories, sharing of information, video and sound.
• Gathers and enters transmission information (satellite, fiber, cable) for televised games.
• Hires freelance ENG crews.
• Possesses depth of knowledge in fiber, satellite, cellular, FTP and viral newsgathering procedures.
• Assigns and coordinates movement of IP-based transmission devices.
• Coordinates game and studio events, including booking transmission needs (TVU/satellite/fiber) and promotes synergy between game and studio productions.
• Works well in a team setting, shows initiative and problem-solving skills, takes direction from assignment desk management, coordinating producers, news editors, producers and senior editors.
• Stays informed and up-to-date on sporting events and has above-average sports knowledge.
• Superior interpersonal and communication skills, with the capacity to handle high-volume email and phone traffic.
• Demonstrated initiative and positive, solution-oriented outlook.
• Advanced ability to organize and prioritize.
• Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
• Strong knowledge of sports.
• Working knowledge of television production and electronic and social media newsgathering.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs: Outlook, Excel, Word.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience, required.
• 3+ years’ experience in a television-related field.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.