Senior Big Data Engineer (HIRED)
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving more than 18 million customers a week in the United States, Canada and Mexico. With fiscal year 2017 sales of $68.6 billion, Lowe’s and its related businesses operate or service more than 2,390 home improvement and hardware stores and employ over 310,000 people. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports the communities it serves through programs that focus on K-12 public education and community improvement projects. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
Purpose of the role:
The primary purpose of this role is to deliver data pipelines and analytics solutions on Hadoop and other platforms. The Big Data Engineer is responsible for building, maintaining, testing and evaluation complex solutions in close partnership with solution architects and other analytic partners. This role translates requirements into new big data solutions, maintenance and execution of existing processes, as well continuous improvement.
• Builds complex technical solutions that turn business requirements into operational processes and inject analytical insights into the business.
• Aligns complex technical solutions to corporate governance requirements to ensure data security and maintain data quality standards.
• Remains on the cutting edge of industry trends to ensure that the Lowe’s COE is aligned with industry best practices.
• Builds automation and self service consumption tools to operationalize data ingestion and analytic models.
• Aligns technical solutions to corporate standards to ensure that security and privacy requirements are met.
• Communicates clearly and concisely to key leadership and stakeholders to ensure alignment on project status and deliverables.
• Partners with Big Data architects and other key stakeholders to ensure that project delierables align with cost and timing standards.
• Operationalize open source data-ingestion, data-processing and data-analytics tools for enterprise use.
• Mentor junior engineers and new team members and apply technical expertise to challenging programming and design problems.
• Developer level On-Call support in rotations.
• Bachelor’s Degree, Bachelors in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
• 3-5 years’ experience in Data Management.
• Master’s Degree, Masters in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
• Strong experience in Hadoop/Spark.
• Solid background in Java/Scala in Hadoop for data ingestion and data transformation.
• Deep understanding and hands on experience of Big Data/NoSQL frameworks.
• Test Driven Development in a lean startup like environment.
• Programming in at least 2 of these programming languages: Java, Python, Scala, R, C++ in Linux/Unix environment.
• Working experience with continuous integration and continuous delivery tools.
• Working knowledge of front end technologies.
Lowe’s is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, genetics or any other category protected under applicable law.