Sports Business Journal is looking for a knowledgeable self-starter to join our team as a copy editor. The successful candidate, working as part of a two-person copy desk, will have the tenacity to root out errors, the experience to handle business copy, the language skills to make good stories better and the personality to ask the tough questions both big and small in a collaborative environment. This job reports to Executive Editor.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Edit stories and proof pages.
• Write headlines and cutlines as needed.
• Remain current on AP style and help formulate magazine-specific style as needed.
• Load the magazine’s online edition.
• Proof the electronic edition.
• Oversee the magazine’s weekly national roundup.
• Proofread marketing copy and other materials as needed.
Skills and abilities:
• 2 years of copy editing experience preferred.
• Must be proficient in Mac environment, InCopy and InDesign.
• Must be able to work under deadline pressure and juggle multiple tasks.
• Must be willing to be part of a team environment, work collaboratively and be an idea generator and an energetic team player.
• Experience handling business copy and editing charts, graphics and other data presentation formats preferred.