The Exceptional Foundation of Charlotte (TEFC) is a non-profit organization located in Uptown Charlotte. Our mission is to provide programs and a place where individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities can meet regularly and experience a broad range of social and recreational activities designed to promote healthy living, support social relationships, explore the arts, improve functional skills and foster community involvement. For more information, visit our website.
Are you ready for a rewarding and dynamic position that champions the growth of individuals with special needs? Are you looking for a place to utilize your leadership skills to build and expand an organization’s vision through your creative thinking and entrepreneurial mindset? If so, then our Executive Director position may be the perfect job for you. We are a growing non-profit that needs a leader to help take us to the next level in serving those with intellectual and developmental disabilities. If you are a high achiever who has a deep compassion for helping teenagers and adults with special needs develop social skills and participate in recreational and community activities, we would like to hear from you.
The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. The Executive Director sets strategic direction, oversees all administrative functions, leads a team of 3 employees and several volunteers, drives fundraising efforts and is a catalyst for our mission through community outreach, public relations and marketing with the highest level of professionalism.
Organization leadership and planning
• Facilitates and participates in the development and implementation of a strategic plan approved by the Board of Directors.
• Coordinates and supports the monthly board meetings and other activities of the Board, providing organization updates and reports. Ensures the board is kept fully informed, in a timely and accurate manner, on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
• Ensures all programs and practices are aligned with the organizations mission and strategic plan and that programs are delivered effectively, ethically and with respect to specific individual and family needs.
• Oversees the development and management of all programs and daily operations of the organization. Oversees the participant admission process and ongoing evaluation of success.
• Maintains official TEFC records and documents, employee and participant information and ensures full compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations.
• Responsible for maintaining, recruiting and hiring a strong team of employees and volunteers committed to the mission of TEFC. Provides ongoing coaching and training for teammates and helps improve performance through regular reviews and feedback.
• Oversees all daily program activities and field trips to ensure participant engagement is positive and all safety guidelines are observed.
• Promotes active and broad volunteer participation in all areas of the organization’s work.
• Maintains a working climate of cooperation and respect which will attract, retain and motivate a diverse team of top-quality employees.
• Ensures financial and budgeting policies and procedures are implemented and maintained based on direction provided from the board of directors.
• Works within the determined budget and clearly articulates expense decisions to the board. Oversees day-to-day financial transactions and management of the organizations finances.
• Oversees, with assistance from the board of directors, the coordination and planning of the organizations fundraising activities.
• Oversees, with assistance from the board of directors, the development of programs to increase the donor base and cultivate methods for retention of donors.
• Assists with identifying grant opportunities and writing and submission of grants.
Community relations and marketing
• Acts as a dynamic voice and catalyst in the community. Has the ability to convey the vision of TEFC’s strategic future to teammates, board members, volunteers and donors and to develop visibility and sponsorship of our mission in the community.
• Develops and maintains effective partnerships with key local, state, regional and national networks and organizations.
• Acts as the public relations liaison for the organization. Oversees the development of press materials and informational literature in print and on the TEFC website and social media platforms.
• Builds and maintains sound working relationships with corporations, individual donors, media and other local organizations
• Consults with outside agencies who are serving a similar population, including Exceptional Foundation affiliates.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Master’s degree preferred.
• Experience working with individuals with Special Needs, required.
• Experience working in a leadership role in a non-profit organization, preferred.
• Has knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector, preferred.
• Demonstrates the highest level of respect for participants, caretakers, co-workers and volunteers.
• Demonstrates transparent and high integrity leadership.
• Has strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
• Demonstrates the ability to lead a team and collaborate to create a positive working environment.
• Motivates board members, teammates and other volunteers.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• $50,000-$60,000 annually.