Part-Time Office Manager, Human Resources
This position is responsible for providing high-quality administrative support within the small but mighty Human Resources office of Queens University of Charlotte. This is a part-time (approximately 25 hours/week), non-exempt position reporting to the Director of HR/Deputy Title IX Coordinator and provides support to the VP of Strategy and HR. This position is not exempt from provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is eligible to earn overtime pay for hours worked above 40 in a single work week.
Does this sound like you? If yes, keep reading. Please note that our staffing is such that we’re unable respond to individual phone calls/emails.
The ideal candidate must have strong administrative assistant skills, including
• Software savvy (primarily Microsoft Office, Word and Excel and the ability to quickly learn Queens-unique software).
• Ability to prioritize and accomplish multiple, competing tasks every day.
• Desire to contribute to a fast-paced team and help wherever it’s needed.
• A cheerful, upbeat outlook on life and burning desire to provide excellent customer service.
• Welcoming of feedback delivered in a supportive, helpful manner.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
• Provide high quality, timely administrative support for the team, including the VP of Strategy & HR (e.g., schedule meetings, duplication, scanning, mailings, etc.).
• Coordinate inflow and outflow of paperwork for Human Resources (e.g. personnel forms, vendor forms, contracts, etc.)
• Serve as the first point of contact in Human Resources: greet and direct visitors, answer phones, sort mail and independently respond to routine inquires and correspondence.
• Onboard new adjuncts and part-time staff (paperwork, orientation)
• Manage personnel files and Form I-9 documentation to ensure compliance with applicable laws.
• Oversee and coordinate background checks to ensure timely completion and communication.
• Manage the university’s Approved Driver List.
• Coordinate scheduling of biometrics appointments with Queens’ Wellness Clinic.
• Respond timely and accurately to requests for verification of employment.
• Monitor and appropriately manage HR’s mailbox.
• Maintain HR’s myQueens webpages, ensuring information is updated timely and accurately.
• Document and improve department processes and procedures.
• Process invoices for payment, order flowers for employees, order office supplies.
• Occasionally serve as back-up to the Benefits Specialist.
• Maintain irreproachable confidentiality of all information relating to the University’s faculty, staff and students.
• Other duties and special projects may be assigned to meet department and university needs.
Experience, knowledge and skills required:
• At least 3 years administrative support experience.
• Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Word and Excel) and ability to quickly learn and apply knowledge to improve procedures and processes.
• Proven attention to detail, accuracy and timeliness.
• Excellent organization and follow-up/follow-through skills to ensure completion of assignments within established timeframes.
• Solid problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze components and arrive at a logical course of action while knowing when to ask for assistance or direction.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and to effectively prioritize assignments to meet given deadlines.
• A burning desire to improve procedures and processes.
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills and experience interacting with multiple constituencies (faculty, staff, candidates).
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and a gift for identifying information that should be escalated immediately.
• Ability to remain calm and resourceful in stressful situations.
• Ability to work effectively independently and as a member of a team.
• Ability to use absolute discretion when dealing with sensitive, confidential materials, familiarity with HIPPA/FERPA a plus.
• Knowledge Jenzabar and/or SharePoint is helpful.
• High level of energy and eager to provide assistance to the HR team and Queens’ faculty and staff.
• Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in experience and education.
Physical requirements (with or without reasonable accommodation):
• Visual Abilities: Read reports, create presentations and use a computer system.
• Hearing: Hear well enough to communicate with co-workers, vendors and students.
• Dexterity, Grasping, Feeling: Write, type and use the telephone, copier and computer systems.
• Mobility: Open files and operate office machines, move between departments and attend meetings across campus.
• Talking: Frequently convey detailed or important instructions and ideas accurately, loudly or quickly.
• Lifting, Pulling, Pushing: Exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• Cognitive/Emotional: Ability to critically think and concentrate. Must be able to respond quickly to changes in conditions.
• Work in office environment, involving contact with faculty, staff, students, service providers and vendors.
• Work has deadlines, multiple interruptions, high volume and may be stressful at times.
The above description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of this positions, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended to describe the general nature of this position.