The Accountant works closely with the Controller and other members of the finance team to handle a range of accounting functions in compliance with nonprofit GAAP and United Way Worldwide standards to support the mission of United Way of Central Carolinas. Responsibilities include accounts payable, preparation of journal entries, account reconciliations, financial statement analysis and special projects.
Major areas of responsibility:
• Process all payments for the organization, including vendor invoices, employee reimbursements, grants and designated pledges via checks, EFTs and bank drafts.
• Enter invoices, obtaining proper coding, approval and supporting documentation, monitoring due dates to ensure timely payment.
• Monitor and review expense reports and credit cards statements to ensure employee compliance with company policy.
• We are in the process of implementing new electronic processes – must be tech savvy and able to adapt to changes.
• Maintain all contracts, agreements and leases.
• Prepare 1099s annually.
• Vendor maintenance – follow company procedures for adding and editing vendor information.
• Prepare various monthly journal entries to ensure all business transactions are recorded accurately and timely to include but not limited to, deferred revenue, prepaid expenses, cash receipts and fundraising system activity imports.
• Prepare monthly account reconciliations for assigned accounts to ensure balances are correct.
• Assist Controller with financial statement analysis and special projects as needed.
• Assist with external auditor requests as needed.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
• Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
• Strong time management skills and ability to work efficiently and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
• Excellent organization skills.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team setting.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong research and reconciliation skills.
• Advanced skills in Excel and other Microsoft Office products.
• Knowledge of GAAP.
• Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge a plus.
Education and experience required:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
• CPA preferred.
• 2-5 years accounting experience, non-profit preferred.
Physical factors/working conditions:
• Indoor office environment.
• Light lifting of supplies.
• Occasional non-regular hours.