Sports Marketing Manager
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
The Manager, Sports Marketing will support all aspects of consumer marketing strategy and communications for the new ACC Network (launching August 2019). Responsibilities include brand-building, delivering annual marketing plans and leading business results with cross-functional teams. The Manager is responsible for delivering world-class creative across TV, digital, mobile, print, OOH, grassroots and social channels. This role is responsible for being the day-to-day lead with agencies, as well as building strong collaborative relationships with colleagues across many different departments and business partners at the Atlantic Coast Conference and 15 Member-Institutions. This position will challenge your creativity and ability to work under pressure in order to deliver the highest quality content in a vastly changing media landscape. The position is part of the ESPN Sports Marketing team supporting the ACC Network, reports to the Director Sports Marketing and is based in Charlotte, NC.
ACCN (ACC Network) is ESPN’s newest multi-platform network launching August 2019. Showcasing 27 varsity sports from the Atlantic Coast Conference, ACCN will super-serve ACC fans like never before by shining a spotlight on the conference that’s earned 471 national titles, its rivalries and traditions. In addition to football and basketball, ACCN will feature live games and extensive coverage of lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, softball, baseball and more along with ACC Championships. Original content and studio shows will provide fans inside access, analysis and storytelling all year long. ACC student-athletes, the universities, fans and ACCN employees alike are integral to building this network through innovation and excellence.
• Serve as a key Marketing stakeholder and strategic business partner to various internal and external constituents including ACC partners, 15 Member-Institutions, ESPN Programming, Production, • Social, Affiliate Marketing, Sales, Fan & Media Intelligence, Media and Corporate Communications.
• Contribute to the development of the brand, marketing and business strategy to drive the ACC Network business and its goals.
• Lead the integrated marketing communications process to manage strategy and creative development against business and marketing objectives.
• Support brand campaign development and marketing communications to educate fans on the new network and its core promise.
• Develop marketing strategies and tactics to encourage affiliates to distribute the network.
• Drive collaboration between Sports Marketing and teams across the company.
• Conduct rigorous overall business and consumer analysis. Lead brand market research initiatives working with the company’s fan and media intelligence department. Translate consumer insights into marketing and innovation initiatives.
• Accountable for viewership and usage for TV and/or digital ESPN properties to achieve the highest possible ratings and digital consumption.
• Manage creative development and associated approval process with advertising agencies, in-house CreativeWorks and/or other related marketing resources in support of the brand and priority programming across the entire media-mix.
• Apply ingenuity, creativity, analytical and organizational skills to identify and evaluate marketing strategies and tactics.
• Oversight of budget and cost management.
• Responsible for driving marketing innovation and forming strategic alliances with external and internal partners to deliver content across channels including mobile, social, digital, experiential and any other new medias.
• Manage the ACCN Marketing Coordinator. Provide an environment that challenges and rewards by cultivating teamwork, creativity, innovation and career growth.
• Minimum of 4 years of Marketing/Advertising required with an understanding of Marketing fundamentals, including strategic and creative development, creative evaluation and budget management.
• Minimum of 2 years of people management.
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• Strategic thinker. Strong leadership skills with a compelling vision.
• Previous experience in brand management and/or consumer marketing with a passion for Marketing and Advertising, including production experience.
• Understanding of the media landscape, affinity for social media and an appreciation for the role sports play in culture.
• Excellent creative instincts. Experience leading internal and external creative development process. Understanding of advertising development and agency relationships.
• Strong base of analytic thinking through consumer insights to inform business and marketing objectives and strategy. Campaign measurement, analysis and report out.
• Proven collaborator with ability to lead and impact cross-functional teams.
• Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation of ESPN’s unique brand voice.
• A passionate sports fan with a comprehensive knowledge of the College Sports, the Atlantic Coast Conference and 15 Member-Institutions.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment. Holds self and others accountable for creative and executional excellence.
• Desire to take risks and drive change.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills.
ESPN Sales & Marketing, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.