Active Directory Engineer
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving more than 18 million customers a week in the United States, Canada and Mexico. With fiscal year 2017 sales of $68.6 billion, Lowe’s and its related businesses operate or service more than 2,390 home improvement and hardware stores and employ over 310,000 people. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports the communities it serves through programs that focus on K-12 public education and community improvement projects. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
The Active Directory Engineer provides support, implementation and design services for Microsoft Active Directory and Windows-based systems across the enterprise, including directory and identity management solutions. Resolves and appropriately completes assigned cases and change requests and acts as an escalation for support issues. Applies new solutions through research and collaboration with team and determines course of action for new application initiatives. Implements new software solutions as required by the business.
The core infrastructure technology duties include enterprise Microsoft Active Directory and Windows file services architecture creation and management, global system security and policy configuration and top-level support for enterprise-wide initiatives. This role requires an in-depth knowledge of Active Directory, Azure Active Directory, Federation, Windows Server, Windows security, AD Proxy, Virtual Directory solutions and cloud related operations (Azure and Google) technology.
• Produce enterprise-level designs for Active Directory and Windows File Services for global initiatives following those through to implementation via collaboration with project and support teams.
• Identify opportunities to innovate, extend and enhance service delivery everywhere possible.
• Own Root Cause Analysis and Problem Management for corporate Identity Management environment.
• Serves as escalation point for application support and troubleshooting, provides guidance and direction in resolution of escalated issues and/or complex production, application or system problems.
• Serves as the first line of escalation support for domain technology issues that cannot be resolved by tier one and two server support.
• Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs and verifying completion of scheduled jobs.
• Install, configure and maintain Active Directory and third party software utilities for hardware systems within company operational guidelines.
• Create and maintain system documentation for domain technologies, including installation, configuration and appropriate troubleshooting steps.
• Improve existing processes through solutions to recurring problems and enhancements to existing solutions or documentation.
• Provide training as required.
• Manage customer satisfaction through effectively communicating and managing customer expectations.
Qualifications, education and experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, CIS or related field.
• 6+ years of experience in an IT support environment with technical experience in distributed technologies and systems development. Additional equivalent work experience may be substituted for the degree requirement.
• 2+ years of experience in a leadership role with or without direct reports.
• 4+ years of relevant work in Active Directory.
• Master’s Degree in Computer Science, CIS or related field.
• Experience working with Microsoft Identity technologies including Active Directory, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, Windows File Services and Group Policies.
• Expert knowledge in administering Active Directory (AD) and GPO’s.
• Expert knowledge of AD, ADFS, PKI in Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2.
• Expert knowledge of DNS, DHCP, WINS, DFS, in a Windows 2012 landscape.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Forefront Identity Management, Microsoft Exchange.
• Must have deep and thorough understanding of monitoring best practices, preferably with Microsoft System Center Operation Manager (SCOM) understanding and experience.
• Extensive experience with infrastructure and server theories, principles and concepts, application infrastructure and standards, networking fundamentals, Windows, Physical Server architecture, Virtualization Technologies (e.g. VMware and LAN/WAN/Firewall/VPN network technologies.
• Experience with implementation and operation of services in a hybrid multi-cloud environment (AD, Azure AD, Google).
• Develops, documents and enforces the standards, security procedures and controls for access to ensure integrity of the Windows Systems, Active Directory and related systems.
• Knowledge of server virtualization technologies, preferably VMware and/or Microsoft technologies.
• 2+ years in experience leading technical or project teams with or without direct reports.
• 2+ years of work experience in an IT role requiring interaction with senior management (i.e., Director level or higher).
• 3+ years of experience working in a large matrixed organization.
• 3+ years of experience working with third-party IT vendors and/or systems solution providers.
• 3+ years of IT experience in the retail industry.
• 3+ years of experience writing technical documentation in an infrastructure development environment.