Girls on the Run International is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams. We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. Through a network of over 200 Councils in 50 states serve 200,000+ girls a year and engage 100,000+ volunteers.
Girls on the Run believes that all girls and communities should have access to our programs. We strive to eliminate barriers to participation, to continue creating programming that engages all communities, to be intentional about staff and volunteer diversity and to promote a culture of inclusion across the organization.
The Director of Legal and Risk Management is responsible for the design and administration of organization-wide risk management programs, serves as liaison with external attorneys and insurance representatives, advises leadership on strategies and serves as the organization’s subject matter expert in these areas. The ideal candidate for this position will be comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, growing environment and will have the ability to think strategically but also execute. This position is a part-time position (20 hours/week) and is located at Girls on the Run International Headquarters in Charlotte, NC.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
• Select and manage all outside legal counsel providing services to GOTR.
• Provide legal support to the Executive Team on a range of operational and business issues.
• Working with outside legal experts as needed, draft and review legal documents and internal policies and guidance for compliance with domestic and international laws.
• Research, prepare and ensure appropriate filings to allow GOTR to establish and maintain its domestic and international operations.
• Serve as a Girls on the Run role model, exhibiting GOTR core values and working to help achieve the GOTR mission.
• Develop positive relationships with council staff, volunteers, board members, community members, vendors and staff.
• Any other duties deemed necessary by the Chief Operating Officer.
• Direct annual council Membership Agreement renewal process, prepare, issue and track contracts.
• Manage council contract questions and issues.
• Develop and maintain the contract management process for GOTR to ensure adequate protections of the organization.
• Track licensee contract compliance (e.g., submission of insurance certificates, third-party manufacturer agreements).
• Support Council Management team with any legal, contractual or council compliance issues.
Intellectual property management
• Identify proactive strategies to protect intellectual property, including, but not limited to, changes to existing policies and new council processes.
• Protect the intellectual property (trademarks, copyrights) of the organization through processes that register, track and maintain intellectual property.
• Manage applications for new trademarks and copyrights and renewals of existing trademarks and copyrights.
• Oversee enforcement of Girls on the Run copyrights and trademarks. Identify violations and communicate with “copycat” organizations as appropriate.
• Advise councils on intellectual property infringement and represent the organization to individuals or organizations infringing on GOTR intellectual property rights.
• Update and manage process for tracking “copycat” programs and other incidents of suspected IP infringement.
• Manage intellectual property watch service and conduct quarterly reviews of copycat watch list organizations.
• Maintain log of resolved IP infringement cases.
• Direct the organizations risk management practices.
• Monitor and evaluate the insurance program, maintain appropriate funding levels, accurate loss forecasting, claims management, loss prevention and cost containment programs.
• Manage the relationship with insurance policy vendors.
• Oversee and review annual organization insurance renewal. Determine all appropriate risk management coverage including, but not limited to umbrella policy, general liability, directors and officers, workers compensation.
• Assist councils or internal HQ team on council questions regarding insurance and risk management.
• Review all new and existing policies to minimize legal risk to the Organization.
• Experience in contract review, negotiation, drafting and contract process management.
• Experience at a mid-major law firm or in-house at a large nonprofit/foundation.
• Flexibility and adaptability to address a variety of legal concerns.
• Experience working cross-functionally.
• Strong verbal and written communication.
• Strong critical thinker.
• Experience in employment law, preferred.
• Understand and promote organizational culture that maintains high ethical and legal behavior.
• Passion for empowering girls to reach their limitless potential.
• This position is offering a compensation range of $34,000 – $42,000, depending on experience.
• Girls on the Run International offers a 401k plan with employer match and professional development opportunities.