The Charlotte-Mecklenburg area lags other metro areas in many key sustainability measures which serve as an indicator of a community’s long-term economic, social and environmental well-being. As the metro area continues to grow at a high rate, it is critical that efforts are made to raise awareness of the challenges the region will face now and into the future. Founded in 2010, Sustain Charlotte is a nonprofit organization helping to advance a region-wide sustainability movement by serving as a catalyst for change. Sustainability means meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own. In just short of a decade, Sustain Charlotte has become the metro area’s leading voice for sustainability.
Sustain Charlotte has grown rapidly over the last several years, attracting both businesses as sponsors and individual donors as members. As the organization’s standing in the community has grown, so too has the opportunity to deepen relationships with institutions and individuals who share Sustain Charlotte’s passion for a sustainable community. After spending several years expanding participation in its corporate and individual membership programs, the time has come to further develop these relationships and increase giving. Sustain Charlotte is seeking a Development Director who is adept at relational marketing to manage a portfolio of Sustain Charlotte members, focusing on expanding their engagement in 2019 ahead of another acquisition push in 2020. This is an ideal opportunity for a “people person” who is passionate about our community’s economic, social and environmental well-being. The Development Director is tasked with leading resource development activities toward generating $500,000 annually.
Key responsibilities include:
• In partnership with the Executive Director, craft annual development plan outlining strategies to sustain and increase annual support from corporations, events, foundations and individuals.
• Create multi-year strategies for implementing a moves management model of resource development, prospecting, recruiting, engaging, soliciting and stewarding donors and sponsors.
• Lead efforts to grow annual sponsorship from corporations and businesses, building relationships inside companies and creating win-win, business-centered partnerships.
• Facilitate sponsor fulfillment to include human resources, marketing and public relations.
• Mine database of current and past individual members to source prospects for deepening engagement and giving.
• Conduct face-to-face engagement, managing a portfolio of key individual relationships.
• Work with Sustain Charlotte’s board of directors to identify individual donor recruitment strategies and prospects for cultivation.
• Maintain timely records of all donor, sponsor and prospect contacts in donor database.
• Utilize database to identify sponsor and major donor prospects and inform marketing efforts.
• Assure accurate and timely member, donor, sponsor recognition, acknowledgments and renewal letters for all financial and in-kind donations.
Required qualifications and competencies:
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• An appreciation for sustainability and demonstrated commitment to it.
• 3+ years’ experience in external relations or institutional advancement, including development/ high-touch sales, marketing, communications and events management.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong leadership and strategic thinking skills.
• Ability to execute a strategic development plan and when necessary turn broad goals into meaningful, actionable tasks.
• Ability to make connections easily and create authentic relationships with a wide variety of individuals and groups.
• Solid analytical skills and basic understanding of financial levers.
• Proficiency with CRM management is essential.
• Base compensation will be in the $50,000-$55,000 range with benefits including a health insurance stipend and annual IRA match.
All inquiries, nominations and applications are to be directed via email to Next Stage Consulting at email@example.com. Applications must include a custom cover letter and CV to be considered. Please indicate in the subject line of your email the position and organization to which you are applying and where you learned of the opportunity. No phone calls please. Please note that only those candidates invited for screening will be contacted.
Sustain Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. Sustain Charlotte encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.