Girls on the Run International is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams. We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. Founded in Charlotte in 1996, Girls on the Run Charlotte is one of the largest councils in a network of over 200 councils serving 200,000+ girls a year in all 50 states through the active engagement of 100,000+ volunteers.
Girls on the Run believes that all girls and communities should have access to our programs. We strive to eliminate barriers to participation, to continue creating programming that engage all communities, to be intentional about staff and volunteer diversity and to promote a culture of inclusion across the organization.
Consistent with the mission of Girls on the Run International, the Girls on the Run Charlotte Executive Director is responsible for the overall development, management and organizational success of the Charlotte council which serves Mecklenburg and Cabarrus counties. This full-time position will report to the Senior Vice President, Council Development of Girls on the Run International, located in Charlotte, NC. The ideal candidate will be an individual who has proven experience developing and growing mature organizations. She/he will be an energetic leader with the ability to achieve goals across different functional areas.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
• Oversee the council to ensure it meets the needs of diverse participants, volunteers and the community.
• Develop strategies to build a strong, inclusive and sustainable environment for staff, volunteers and participants.
• Closely manage program revenue and expenses to ensure annual council budget is achieved.
• Provide leadership to a staff of three to ensure programming is implemented according to national guidelines at all sites. Determine appropriate roles and responsibilities, set individual and group objectives, develop and evaluate staff.
• Build a culture among council staff and stakeholders that embodies the core values of Girls on the Run.
• Adhere to all council obligations with Girls on the Run International including completion of reporting requirements.
• Work closely with Girls on the Run International CFO to create annual council budget.
Program development and strategic planning
• With input from Sr. VP, Council Development, staff and Girls on the Run-Charlotte Advisory board, create and implement strategic plan to increase community support and expand number of girls served in the program.
• Utilize data to drive strategic decision making.
• Develop growth strategies for the council, including geographic and program expansion.
• Serve as staff liaison to GOTR Charlotte Advisory Board of Directors and work closely with Board Chair to develop members that serve council needs.
• Develop marketing and awareness plans that raise the visibility and fundraising outcomes of Girls on the Run in Mecklenburg and Cabarrus counties.
• Manage and develop council staff, ensuring site, participant and volunteer goals are met and 5k events achieve program and revenue goals.
Partnerships and community development
• In partnership with the Director of Development, Sr. Director of Development and the GOTR Charlotte Advisory Board, develop community relationships to cultivate donors and volunteers to ensure council revenue and site goals are achieved.
• Establish new community partnerships with like-minded organizations that are aligned with the Girls on the Run mission.
• Deepen and establish new relationships with school partners to enhance program quality and council sustainability.
• Develop relationships with the local media and serve as the Girls on the Run-Charlotte spokesperson to effectively market the program.
• Nurture and support a caring, results-oriented culture that embraces personal responsibility, performance and quality.
• Exemplify the Girls on the Run core values with others to advance the organization’s mission.
• Develop positive and productive relationships with volunteers, advisory board members, community members and staff.
• Any other duties deemed necessary by the Sr. VP, Council Development.
• BA or BS degree
• Demonstrated ability to build and lead teams
• Minimum of 8 years of demonstrated experience and 3 years of related experience
• Outstanding communication skills in multiple environments and with a range of audiences
• A strategic leader with strong critical thinking, creative problem solving and analytical skills
• Experience managing budgets over $500,000
• Passion for Girls on the Run mission and the ability to comprehend and effectively communicate issues surrounding empowerment, self-worth and whole-person health
• Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• This position is offering a compensation range of $55,000 -$70,000, depending on experience.
• Girls on the Run International offers a generous PTO plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, paid medical leave, 401k plan with employer match and professional development opportunities.
• Application deadline is November 23rd, 2018.