Director of Marketing and Development
Carolina Raptor Center is on a Quest to find a Director of Marketing and Development to serve as a key member of the management team. Growth opportunities abound at this nature-based, Charlotte-area non-profit. True inspiration will drive the success of the new Quest facility and you can be in on the ground floor. If you have the energy of a Cooper’s Hawk, can smell opportunity like a Turkey Vulture and always hunt like a Golden Eagle, you may be just what we are looking for.
The Director of Marketing and Development (DoMD) is a key member of the Carolina Raptor Center Management Team, overseeing the marketing of all organizational product lines and the solicitation of gifts. The DoMD has responsibility for managing all individual, corporate and foundation relationships and works with the Management Team to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors. The DoMD also supports the “Our Quest” Capital Campaign and processes pledges, ensures fulfillment and participates in meetings with the Campaign Counsel.
The DoMD manages the Marketing Coordinator, the Social Media contractor, the Database Administrator and a Development Intern and promotes a culture of philanthropy and entrepreneurship with all staff and stakeholders. The DoMD is a self-starter, has an affinity for balancing priorities well and stays abreast of business best practices and philanthropic trends.
Function areas % of time spent
• Development Program Management 40%.
• Special Events 20%.
• Marketing Program Management 20%.
• Administration and Supervisory Role 10%.
• Other duties as needed 5%.
Marketing program management
• Works with Marketing Coordinator to guide marketing strategy for all programs and events.
• Manages Social Media contractor.
• Provides internal client management with all departments to deliver strategic communications.
• Works with Marketing Coordinator to meet deadlines and prioritize projects.
Development program management
• Conceive and execute a comprehensive annual development plan for Annual Fund, Take Flight Society (leadership gifts), Board of Directors, Corporations and Foundations and Legacy Giving.
• Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donor relationships and ensure a donor-centered approach to fundraising to support the mission.
• Organize and manage the Take Flight Society (Major Gifts) and the Golden Eagle Society (Legacy Gifts and utilize support from the Board of Directors and Executive Director to help cultivate and steward the relationships.
• Manage foundation grants program and contract grant writer for larger requests. Compose and provide reporting for CRC’s Arts & Science Operating Grant and assist staff with identifying and composing smaller grants.
• Update Annual Fund and Assigned Contacts in Altru on a regular basis. Limited Gift entry and acknowledgement. Work with Database Administrator to enter, acknowledge gifts and provide regular reporting to the management team on giving.
• Work with the Executive Director and Board to create a culture of philanthropy, including motivating all staff and volunteers to support relationship building efforts.
• Create compelling cases for support that all staff and volunteers can articulate and establish infrastructure that supports and celebrates donors.
• Stay abreast of best practices in fund development and marketing and implement in the annual fundraising activities of the organization.
• Serve as the staff liaison to the Talon to Table Task Force for our annual farm-to-fork gala. Responsible for contracting with venue, caterer, software, etc. and developing a sound event budget.
• Create the case for support for Corporate Sponsorships, make asks and support the Task Force and Board in making asks. Submit formal requests for proposals.
• Inspire the Task Force and Board to solicit in-kind donations for the auction, food and beverage.
• Work with the Program Team to develop the experiences for the evening.
Capital campaign support
• Develop the strategy to convert major donors to the Campaign into major donors for ongoing Annual Fund support.
• Support the Management Team and Campaign Counsel to guide the fundraising efforts around the “Birds Inspire” phase of the “Our Quest” Campaign – the final capital portion of the campaign to build out the new exhibits on the new Raptor Trail.
• Provide administrative support to process new pledges to the Campaign, track existing pledges to ensure fulfillment and work with the Finance Manager on auditing pledges for the annual audit report.
Administration and supervisory role
• Create the annual development/marketing budget in conjunction with the Finance Manager.
• Manage the Marketing Coordinator and oversee the development of the annual marketing plan.
• Supervise the Database Administrator. Provide strategic direction for reporting and development dashboard.
• Supervise the Development Intern. Set annual goals and provide opportunities for professional development.
• Serve as a member of the Management Team.
• Employee goal setting and evaluation.
• Provide direction and support for the Board’s Development Committee – Staff Liaison.
Working relationship with others:
• Executive Director.
• Associate Executive Director.
• Finance Manager.
• CRC Development Committee.
• CRC Board of Directors.
• Other CRC staff.
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of development and/or marketing experience.
• Highly skilled relationship builder who can work with varied constituencies (donors, volunteers and co-workers) to achieve mutually beneficial goals.
• Proven track record in achieving revenue goals and growth.
• A proficient technical writer who can distill an inspiring and mission-focused message.
• Passion and understanding for the Carolina Raptor Center mission.
• Curiosity in and skill with using technology to inform the decision-making process. Microsoft Office proficient and CRM familiarity preferred.
• Self-motivated and able to work independently.
• Affinity and respect for fundraising best practices – interest in pursuing CFRE certification.
• Patience and an ability to project a cool, calming influence in high-pressure situations.
Send cover letter and resume to Jim Warren, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Apply today before someone else swoops in on this opportunity.