Director of Development
Born from intimate living room jam sessions in the 1980’s, Tosco Music Parties have grown into popular community concerts at Knight Theater five times annually. Nationally recognized acts share the stage with undiscovered artists and audience members are invited to sing along throughout the evening. Since incorporating in 1999 as a nonprofit organization, Tosco Music has expanded its impact with a variety of outreach programs. From music parties and open mic nights, to music scholarships and ticket access programs and music events throughout the community, Tosco Music is dedicated to helping the community explore, develop and share their passion for music in all its forms.
In recent years, the organization has taken significant steps forward. A rebranding effort led by Wray Ward resulted in a cohesive brand strategy across the organization’s programming and outreach efforts. A fund development planning effort led by Next Stage resulted in a focused resource development plan that has led to early success in the form of a major gift society and corporate sponsorship. In 2019, Tosco Music is planning to expand upon its successful Beatles Tribute concert to launch a Beatles weekend convention, drawing participation not only locally but regionally and nationally.
Tosco Music is in the process of moving from a largely all-volunteer infrastructure to a professional staff, having hired part-time roles over the last year. To this end, Tosco Music is seeking to hire a full-time Development Director to implement all aspects of the Development Plan with support from the part-time Administrative & Communications Coordinator. The Development Director will drive strategic fundraising initiatives. This full-time, salaried position is office-based with occasional evening and weekend hours for music parties and donor events as needed and some flexibility to work remotely once the role is established. Read full description here.
What you will do:
Sponsorship recruitment (70%):
• Utilize existing research and facilitate ongoing inquiry to identify prospects, use CRM records and Board and donor relationships to maintain dynamic list of sponsorship prospects.
• Cultivate relationships by facilitating introductory meetings and initiating sponsorship opportunities with prospects, identifying prospects’ needs and preferences.
• Craft customized sponsorship opportunities in coordination with Executive Director and Board Marketing & Communications Committee, serve as lead solicitor and actively make “asks”.
• Manage benefit fulfillment to steward sponsor.
• Obtain sponsorship revenue according to identified benchmarks.
Major donor development (25%):
• Steward current Living Room Society (LRS) Donor relationships.
• Coordinate major gift events including the VIP Lounge and LRS Appreciation Gatherings.
• Identify major gift prospects from membership, audience and board member relationships.
• Expand LRS by actively pursuing and solicit prospects, lead solicitation effort.
Grant development (5%)
• Identify new funding opportunities and manage application processes and reporting requirements.
• Maintain timely records of all donor, sponsor and prospect contacts in donor database.
• Utilize database to identify sponsor and major donor prospects and inform marketing efforts.
• Work closely with Administrative & Communications Coordinator and Database Contractor to assure accurate and timely member, donor, sponsor recognition, acknowledgments and renewal letters for all financial and in-kind donations.
Required qualifications and competencies:
The ideal candidate would have the following capabilities and qualities
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• A love for live music and desire to enhance Charlotte’s community through music.
• 3+ years’ experience in external relations or institutional advancement, including development/ high-touch sales, marketing, communications and events management.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong leadership and strategic thinking skills.
• Ability to execute a strategic development plan and when necessary turn broad goals into meaningful, actionable tasks.
• Ability to make connections easily and create authentic relationships with a wide variety of individuals and groups.
• Solid analytical skills and basic understanding of financial levers.
• Proficiency with CRM management is essential, Donor Perfect experience a plus.
Beginning October 29, all inquiries, nominations and applications are to be directed via email to Next Stage Consulting at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must include a custom cover letter and CV to be considered. Please indicate in the subject line of your email the position and organization to which you are applying and where you learned of the opportunity.
No phone calls please. Note that only those candidates invited for screening will be contacted.
Tosco Music is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. Tosco Music encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.