Social Media Manager
The Social Media Manager develops, maintains and executes a comprehensive social media and digital content strategy that furthers the national visibility of Davidson College and engagement with the college. The candidate can effectively tell a story in 280 characters, 600 words and through engaging photos and video.
• Manage the implementation of the college’s overall social media strategy and day-to-day operations of the college’s main social media channels.
• Responsibilities include content planning, scheduling, posting, monitoring, managing and communicating campaigns. • The position regularly reviews website and social media metrics data using tools like Google Analytics and Sprout Social and social media account statistics, identifies and reports on trends and outcomes and identifies opportunities for additional engagement.
• Support the editorial process by working with the communications team to share digital stories effectively across platforms and develops original content for social media and digital initiatives, including video, aimed at multiple audiences (prospective and current students, alumni and families).
• Size and optimize photos for the social media posts, websites and other digital communications channels using Photoshop and other digital software tools.
• Conceptualize, plan, shoot and edit short video stories for social media. Use Adobe Premiere and related video and audio software to produce videos.
• Speak publicly as a thought-leader on the college’s social media strategy as well as emerging social media trends and general best practices.
• The Social Media Manager will facilitate and attend regular meetings with social media managers across the college, including College Communications, Admission, Development, Alumni Relations, Athletics and other offices to discuss and plan social media strategy, tactics, upcoming campaigns, review and share outcomes.
• The position will continually identify opportunities for broader campus engagement around social media and the sharing of experience, knowledge, goals/objectives and social media standards and policies.
• The position tracks and provides training to campus constituencies on social media best practices and integration of social media into college and departmental communications and marketing.
• Identify issues developing on social media and escalate as necessary to other communications staff and college leadership.
• Serve on and offer guidance to the college’s emergency response team.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Minimum of 3 years of progressive professional experience, preferably in a higher education, non-profit, newspaper or agency setting.
• Demonstrated experience managing a large organization’s social media presence, including experience with social media planning, strategy, tactics, tools and monitoring.
• Experienced writer, editor and proofreader with strong news sense, excellent storytelling skills, mastery of grammar, punctuation and the AP Stylebook.
• Adept at identifying and writing engaging content.
• Experience taking photos and producing short audio and video for immediate use on social media to help tell timely stories as they occur.
• Master’s Degree.
• Mastery of Microsoft Office and experience using Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Photoshop and Acrobat. Experience using an HTML editor like Dreamweaver, audio editing software like Audition, Audacity or Garageband and video editing using Premiere or Final Cut Pro is desirable.
• Experience working with Hootsuite, Sprout Social or other social media management platform a plus.
• Understanding of web content best practices, including some knowledge of industry standards for web information architecture and responsive design and familiarity with web usability, accessibility and search engine optimization techniques, including creating SEO-friendly content and metadata.
• Experience using content management systems and knowledge of HTML and basic CSS.
Submit an application, along with resume and cover letter here. In a supplemental document or cover letter, answer the following questions;
1. Do you have direct experience posting and managing the social media strategy and measurement of social media effectiveness for an organization? If so, please provide us with links to social media accounts you have managed and describe your role and approach to each.
2. Do you have photography or video production experience? If yes, please provide details about your experience, including software used, editing skills and familiarity with video cameras and associated equipment. Please provide links to any videos that you’ve produced and describe your role in their production.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures and national origins.