Chief Community Officer
This position will provide strategic and tactical leadership to the Library Foundation, whose purpose is to raise private financial development, board development, team development and execution of the Foundation’s strategy and business plan to accomplish goals and objectives. The Chief Community Officer will serve as a key member of the Library CEO’s leadership team.
Duties and responsibilities include:
• Develops and executes strategies designed to expand and grow awareness, engagement and support of the Library and its role in the community, monitors community interests, trends and events and works with other Library leaders to formulate strategies and programs that produce measurable impact for the community and the Library, works closely with the Library CEO to champion the organization’s role and relationships in the community, oversees a cross-organization effort to create, expand, oversee and evaluate partnership relationships, and works with the Strategic Planning Committee and other Library leaders to develop language, messages and stories that build awareness, engagement and support.
• Provides day-to-day leadership for one of the functional units within the Community roll-up, ensures fundraising, community engagement, public relevance, partnership and events teams and their activities achieve annual goals and longer-term objective, cultivates external audiences to expand awareness and appreciation for the resources brought to the community by the Library as well as the contributions the Library makes to building a stronger community.
• Organizes and structures the Community platform to support achievement of Library mission, strategic goals and objectives. Maintains a work environment that attracts, retains and develops high-quality personnel who are collaborative, innovative, inclusive and reflect the new enterprise cultural principles, and ensures that functional leaders within the group are engaged with relevant professional organizations focused on their particular field.
Board and volunteer development
• Updates the Library Board of Trustees regularly on community trends and issues and what the Library is doing to respond and makes creative use of volunteers to expand team capacity.
• Ensures steady growth in annual fundraising totals, achieves Library Foundation endowment goals, leverages media to grow resources, collaborates with other Library leaders to develop partnerships that deliver best execution and extend the capacity of Library staff and creates innovative residencies that support Library mission, strategies and goals.
• Manages annual operating spending within budget expectations and works with Foundation for The Carolinas to care properly for the Library Foundation endowment.
• Leverages and supports the Library brand architecture and brand promise.
• A bachelor’s degree in Marketing, PR, Communications, Non-Profit Administration, Fundraising or closely related field and significant years of fundraising/development experience defined as 7-10, to include multi-channel fundraising.
• Prior experience in a leadership role.
• Minimum 10 years demonstrated successful, progressive leadership in development, marketing, communications, community engagement and/or other related fields.
• Compatible with newly developed organizational culture key principles.
• Distinctive, specialized expertise in one or more of the functional business areas included in the Community roll-up.
• Wide and deep network among local community leaders, along with a strong reputation for caring, compassion and collaboration.
• Strong business analytical skills.
• Positive energy and spirit.
• Demonstrated high-energy, highly interpersonal leadership style, success collaborating closely with direct managers, and impact from coaching and developing employees, supervisors and managers.
• Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills with ability to make effective presentations of varying difficulty to a variety of audiences.
• Demonstrated passion for serving and supporting internal and external customers, community leaders, donors, media and partners.
• Demonstrated ability to create a work environment that embraces change at all levels and the skills to lead those change processes.
• Demonstrated ability and a bias for working fast and making changes quickly.
• Culturally proficient, demonstrated understanding of norms, values and behaviors of various peoples, including direct experience working in multiple cultural and cross-cultural settings.
• Demonstrated success developing business partnerships.
• Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously.
• Varies and flexes based on hours of operation, work deadlines, etc.
• Some weekend work required.
• Moderate travel.
• Hiring range, $96,800-$127,050 annually.