Director of Marketing and Brand Strategy
Girls on the Run International is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams. We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. Over 215 Councils in 50 states serve 200,000+ girls a year and engage close to 100,000 volunteers.
Girls on the Run believes that all girls and communities should have access to our programs. We strive to eliminate barriers to participation, to continue creating programming that engages all communities, to be intentional about staff and volunteer diversity and to promote a culture of inclusion across the organization.
Reporting directly to the Chief Engagement Officer and consistent with the mission of Girls on the Run International, the Director of Marketing and Brand Strategy will oversee and manage marketing, communications and merchandise for Girls on the Run to meet revenue and brand goals. The ideal candidate will be an experienced professional with a passion for the job, skilled at employing innovative marketing techniques and able to drive creativity and enthusiasm in others. She/he will have proven experience in developing strategies that expand the organization’s participant and volunteer base, increase brand loyalty, improve financial performance and drive stakeholder engagement.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Marketing strategy and leadership
• Utilize leadership, marketing and brand expertise to supervise team of 5 professionals with 4 direct reports. Support a culture of teamwork, learning, innovation and accountability. Coach and inspire teammates to achieve professional, developmental goals.
• Develop a comprehensive marketing plan that sets out priorities, key activities and objectives to support organization-wide goals.
• Actively participate with team to ensure successful implementation and execution of the strategic plan including, but not limited to digital marketing, content development, publication writing and editing, advertising and internal and external communications.
• Measure marketing initiatives, promotions and campaign results, adjusting tactics as needed to reach targets and objectives.
• Manage marketing inquiries from like-minded organizations and make recommendations to Chief Engagement Officer and Chief Executive Officer for potential partnerships and collaborations.
• Keep updated on relevant emerging digital marketing technologies, current issues and best practice standards in the rapidly evolving marketing, digital and technology landscape.
• Work collaboratively with the VP of Information Technology and Risk Management and the Creative Services Manager on the development of a new website.
• Control budgets and allocate resources amongst projects.
Internal and external communications
• Serve as a member of the leadership team and work collaboratively with it and the Human Resources department to design and deploy effective internal communications approaches that promote employee engagement, connection and satisfaction.
• Lead public relations efforts to include writing and distributing news releases and other media materials to national media, serving as first point of contact for media, serving as organizational spokesperson when appropriate, updating talking points and other key press materials as needed, pitching/placing stories in traditional and non-traditional media and providing monthly reports to leadership.
• Work closely with program and operations teams to define marketing materials and programs that support councils
• Manage crisis communications when and if necessary.
Brand development and stewardship
• Drive overall planning, impact and effective alignment of brand-related areas (brand positioning, brand values, brand messaging and brand communications) to deliver brand awareness, affinity and cohesive messaging throughout the council network.
• Oversee Merchandise strategy to meet revenue goals and broaden brand awareness. Merchandise includes but is not limited to, apparel and specialty products sold via the Girls on the Run branded online store, Girls on the Run 5K merchandise program, apparel and specialty product internal bulk orders, curriculum and program materials and medals.
• Investigate competitive threats/trends in order to recommend and lead brand strategy.
• Nurture and support a caring, results-oriented culture that embraces personal responsibility, performance and quality.
• Exemplify the Girls on the Run core values with others to advance the organization’s mission.
• Develop positive and productive relationships with council directors, volunteers, board members, community members and staff.
• Any other duties deemed necessary by the Chief Engagement Officer.
• Passion for empowering girls to reach their limitless potential.
• Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communication or relevant field.
• 6+ years combined management and communications experience in a fast-paced, goal-driven environment. Previous experience as a Marketing Director with multi-cultural marketing expertise preferred.
• Experience with retail or consumer products preferred.
• Strong communicator with excellent written, presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to think creatively and strategically, having excellent judgment while working in a changing environment.
• Ability to work at the conceptual level as well as in the implementation phase.
• Effective project manager who can produce results within project timeframes.
• Highly organized and proactive, with the ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time and deliver within deadlines.
• Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite and Google Analytics.
• Fundamental knowledge of web design and UX best practices.
• Adobe Creative Suite experience a plus.
Compensation and benefits:
This position is offering compensation of $68,000-$72,000 annually, depending on experience. Girls on the Run International offers a generous PTO plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, paid medical leave, 401k plan with employer match and professional development opportunities.