Creative Director (HIRED)
We are the agency crafted for food and beverage. Our work is designed to help food and beverage brands in times of growth and transition – new brands, challenger brands or best in class brands. This usually occurs when organizations create add or change their products, services, leadership or revisit their marketing approach. Our cadre of food and drink obsessed strategists, designers and industry practitioners support these initiatives with a mixture of consulting, strategy, branding, marketing, design and activation.
The Plaid Penguin is looking for a Creative Director to lead and grow our small design team. Coming up with big ideas and bringing them to life is only a portion of this job. This is not an oversized and 5-layer organization. This CD understands that their job isn’t done at coming up with those ideas and having the team execute – this CD will also be a functioning designer when the workload calls for it. This individual thrives on design, wants to be a part of a fast-paced, growing agency and through their design practices will help elevate the agency’s standards. Competitive compensation based on experience.
• This position requires an individual of a particular creative caliber who is adept at developing and communicating ideas by establishing both the art and design direction, in collaboration with messaging and strategy – while ensuring successful implementation throughout production.
• Sets a high creative standard for the agency internally and externally. Maintains highest level of creative output by originating and refining creative ideas, managing and improving creative output.
• Understands food and beverage and retail marketing as it relates to brand development, in-store, packaging, print, direct, etc.
• Manages the creative process for new and existing clients from concept to completion.
• Creates a range of concepts and designs for each project with strong strategy and cross-team partnerships.
• Manages a range of ongoing accounts ensuring design and creative is fresh, vibrant and on-brand.
• Leads, directs and inspires the creative staff of internal and external freelancers (illustrators, photographers, videographers, developers, etc.) in the production of all branding, marketing, design and digital efforts ensuring they are producing the highest quality work and meeting client’s expectations.
• Acts as the leader of the creative department by providing developmental opportunities, responding to questions, providing direction on resource utilization (internally and externally). Holds the team accountable for work, attitude and collaboration.
• Works with account management team to maintain daily production schedules for the creative staff.
• Provides supervision and oversight to freelance staff by determining appropriate project assignment based on individual skill sets, orienting new employees to agency SOPs, providing necessary resources and direction and responding to questions.
• Translates Client’s objectives into clear creative strategies and design projects.
• Synthesizes client information and communicate it compellingly to team.
What fits with us:
• A strong presenter of communications ideas expressed through design.
• An idea person who brings strategic insight to designed communications.
• Proactive: taking initiative and anticipating next steps.
• An optimistic problem solver, one who finds opportunity in challenge. (“I don’t know how to do that” is a last choice answer)
Knowledge and skill requirements:
• 8-10 years of demonstrated experience in an agency environment.
• Advanced experience managing the creative development process in a client services environment.
• Strong understanding of brand development and multichannel marketing concepts.
• Ability to make informed decisions to keep projects on deadline and within budget, including copy and design direction.
• Possess exceptional leadership skills, being able to move and inspire a team.
• Demonstrated exceptional organizational skills, being detail orientated, a strategic and creative thinker, displaying comfort working both as a leader and a player and finding creative solutions to give brands their edge.
• Possess an ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize and meet deadlines, be self-motivated and proactive and display composure and calmness under stress and uncertainty while inspiring the same in others.
• Strong design intuition and a keen sense of what can work in the future/not what has worked in the past.
• Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite like the back of your hand. Other digital design software knowledge is a plus.
• Rich history in design, branding and packaging (experience in food and beverage a huge plus).
• Passion for motivating a team of individuals to work collaboratively and create great work.
• Must love hospitality, food/beverage and the experience that it brings to others.
We’re a family. We like hanging out together whether it’s at the igloo (our office), at a photo shoot, for happy hour or on the weekends. We enjoy good food, great times and hard work, in no particular order. We serve our clients with the highest levels of care, creativity and customization. Our work is a representation of ourselves so we give our best, period.
This position has been filled. To search all open positions, visit our Job Board.