Adjust your belt. Here’s a quick overview of the 5 biggest May restaurant openings.
Upscale seafood and steakhouse from the parent company of Capital Grille
- Target opening: May 4
- Neighborhood: Uptown – 101 S Tryon Street
- Premium appetizer: “The Big Eddie” ($120) – Alaska king crab legs, Maine lobsters, ahi tuna poke shrimp (8) and oysters (8). If you’re looking for something smaller, the jumbo lump crab cake ($19) is popular.
- Cocktail order: Smoked old fashioned served tableside on a smoked plank
- Entertainment: Live jazz every night
- Steak order: Bacon wrapped filets “Oscar” style with Alaskan king crab, grilled asparagus and Béarnaise sauce ($55)
- Seafood orders: Parmesan sole ($32) or the Chilean sea bass ($46)
- Parent company: Darden Restaurants, a publicly traded company that also owns The Capital Grille, LongHorn Steakhouse and Olive Garden.
New American farm-to-table restaurant from James Beard-nominated chef/owner Paul Verica
- Target Opening: Middle of May
- Neighborhood: Elizabeth – 1961 East 7th Street (former Crips space)
- Family: Paul’s son Alex will work as the sous chef
- Layout: On the right when you walk in, you’ll find a bar and lounge area. Dining is on the left. In the back is another dining area. I love the white ceiling tiles and exposed brick mixed with a modern decor. It’s cool inside.
- Beverages: Larry Suggs, who’s worked at The Punch Room and most recently launched Zeppelin’s cocktail program, will be The Stanley’s head bartender.
- Neighbor: Two doors down (Starbucks is in between) will be The Crunkleton, a classy cocktail bar and restaurant from Chapel Hill, when it opens later this year.
Popular Tex-Mex restaurant with two locations in Atlanta from renowned chef/entrepreneur Ford Fry
- Target Opening: May 21
- Neighborhood: South End – Design Center
- Vibe: Chic-yet-relaxed
- Popular dishes: Steak nachos, fajitas mixtas and chicken mole enchiladas
- Deal: Superica offers a cheap lunch special. For only $11.99, you can choose two items from a list of six options including chicken tortilla soup, salad, enchiladas, nachos, and tacos.
- Brunch order: Chorizo, Potato & Eggs, a satisfying egg scramble combining chorizo, egg, and cheese. It’s best consumed with Michelada, a traditionally Mexican equivalent of the Bloody Mary but with beer as the alcohol base.
- Cocktail: Superita – Herradura double reposado, combier, lime juice, orange, brine, citrus marinated olives, served up Austin-style
- Instagram-worthy: The “Queso Fundido” is a double cheese dip with Monterey Jack and Chihuahua cheeses for the perfect cheese pull
- Agenda story: What to expect from Superica, a popular Tex-Mex restaurant targeting a May grand opening in South End
Full-service restaurant inside the massive 28,000-square-foot dual-branded brewery opening near OMB
- Target Opening: Late May
- Neighborhood: Lower South End, 4001 Yancey
- Menu: They won’t tell me yet, but an executive chef has been hired.
- Seats: 269 seats inside, 270 seats outside and an event space with a total of 104 seats.
- Beer volume: Victory and Southern Tier brewed roughly 255,000 total barrels in 2017. (OMB did about 21,000 in comparison.)
- Eating/drinking space: There are three distinct open-air patio spaces — a huge outdoor patio to the right of the building, a unique space dubbed “The Ruins” in front of the building and a covered patio with a view of Uptown.
- Agenda story: Take a look inside the massive new dual-branded brewery opening just down the street from OMB
Traditional Spanish tapas and small plates with a modern vibe inside
- Target Opening Date: Late May
- Neighborhood: SouthPark, 4310 Sharon Road, Suite W01 (former Chuy’s space)
- Large plate order: Paella ($39) – Valencia-style rice, calamari, prawns, clams, shrimp, red sofrito, saffron
- Fun fact: Bulla offers 6 different types of cured meats and 6 different types of queso.
- Brunch Special: Prix fixe, 3-course brunch for $27 (weekends only). You can also order off their brunch menu. $6 sangrías and mimosas.
- Patio size: 130 seats.
- Sangria options: 3. About $8 by the glass and $30 for a pitcher. Their 7 signature cocktails are $12 or $13.