This position will manage and implement the major gift program for both current and planned gifts, while supporting and maintaining the vision, mission, priorities, strategic direction and guiding principles of the Humane Society of Charlotte. This position’s major concentration will include high-level interaction with donors, implementing tactics to successfully cultivate, acknowledge, and retain donors, increase donor engagement and involvement, as well as recruiting new donors, in order to achieve desired fundraising goals and increase revenue. They will work closely with members of the Development Department team, volunteers, HSC program staff and members of the Board of Directors.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
• Identify major givers to HSC by analyzing giving history data.
• Renew and increase participation in HSC’s Circle of Friend’s leadership giving program.
• Provide appropriate stewardship and recognition for COF supporters.
• Conduct research to maximize giving potential of current donors and identify new ones.
• Manage the ongoing donor identification and cultivation process for major gifts.
• Manage a portfolio of prospects by consistently utilizing the constituent database to track stewardship and donor activity.
• Maintain relationships with donors through various stewardship activities in order to enhance the donor’s experience with HSC and deepen their relationship with the organization.
• Engage new donors by inviting them to participate in HSC events, host them on shelter tours, etc.
• Develop cultivation strategies for prospects and engage staff, Board, or other organizational supporters as appropriate.
• Provide strategic direction and active leadership for fundraising activities.
• Move potential donors towards solicitation and make direct solicitations for program support.
• Follow up and visit with donors interested in making a planned gift to the Humane Society of Charlotte.
• Identify ways to promote the HSC Legacy Society giving program and sign up new supporters.
• Oversee annual Legacy Society event to steward current planned gift donors.
• Assist in the development of goals and strategies for the development department.
• Develop timelines and ensure tasks are completed on time and within budget following the development plan.
• Assist in coordination of donor events, receptions and programs.
• Work closely with the Gift Processing Associate to properly thank donors.
• Work closely with VP of Development on all job functions.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Review lists of past corporate supporters and create a plan for further engagement.
• Research new potential partnership opportunities with local Charlotte businesses.
• Represent HSC in Charlotte’s corporate community by visiting with local companies.
• Work closely with the Special Event Manager on solicitations for corporate sponsorship support of HSC events.
Knowledge, skills and ability:
• Bachelor’s degree in fields related to Non Profit Management, Resource Development, Marketing, Business or other related area.
• Minimum of 5 years in development /fundraising with donor cultivation management experience.
• Demonstrated track record of fundraising accomplishments is required.
• Experience managing a major gifts and corporate giving program preferred.
• Experience with Donor Perfect Online or similar CRM is required.
• Knowledge of fundraising principles and techniques including moves management principles.
• Ability to analyze numerical data in order to make recommendations.
• Well organized, detail oriented, sound time management and planning skills.
• Flexible team player that has the ability to interface with all levels of staff and volunteers.
• Goal oriented, committed to excellence and results.
• Ability to monitor own performance objectives as well as enlist assistance as needed.
• Ability to work and make judgements independently and take initiative.
• Ability to write and edit appeals, newsletters, articles, etc.
• Comfortable speaking publicly.
• Has an exceptional ability to build/maintain relationships and foster collaboration with staff, external donors, partners, board members and volunteers.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills required, as well as a high skill level in written and verbal communication.
• Capable of balancing multiple priorities, with limited resources, in a fast-paced environment.
• Must have a great sense of humor and enjoy working in a relaxed office environment.
• Have a valid driver’s license and insurance and a reliable mode of transportation.
• Willing to work flexible hours as needed including evenings and weekends.
• Familiarity with the Charlotte, NC philanthropic market preferred.
• Association of Fundraising Professional (AFP) membership is a plus.
• Exposure to high noise levels.
• Comfortable interacting with dogs and cats.
• Must be able to lift/move up to 25 pounds.