WFAE is a fast-paced public radio station offering an exciting and creative work environment. We look for ambitious and dedicated people ready for challenges. We offer a generous benefit package and competitive compensation. Across WFAE, we strive to exemplify the highest levels of integrity and public trust; serve as a national and industry model of journalistic excellence; be doggedly committed to telling great stories and serving the public; succeed through teamwork, respect and collaboration; include diverse people, voices, thoughts and perspectives at every level of our work; value and reward creativity, curiosity and humor; be bold and take risks in service to journalism and our mission; enter every room with a spirit of generosity and gratitude.
WFAE, an award-winning public radio station serving the Charlotte region for more than 35 years, seeks a dynamic journalist and storyteller to be our lead political reporter. We are looking for someone who understands the weeds of policy and politics and can turn that understanding into stories of relevance to diverse audiences across multiple platforms, including but not limited to on air and online. The successful candidate will have the ability to report and write with clarity and context for breaking news and long-form explanatory and enterprise journalism. Investigative skills, big-picture thinking and the willingness to pose challenging questions to leaders are essential. The desirable candidate will be expected to develop the sources and reporting that make WFAE an authority in local, state and regional political coverage.
The Political Reporter will report to the News Director but also will work under the direction of the Managing Editor and Assistant News Director. The job will require some evening, weekend and holiday hours as dictated by news and events. Make an impact on the community. Work with a team of smart, collaborative colleagues. This is an exceptional opportunity for a mission-minded and innovative reporter. This job is located in Charlotte, N.C.
• At least 5 years of reporting experience with a significant portion focused on political reporting.
• Experience working in a fast-paced news environment.
• Ability to produce for broadcast and digital formats.
• Ability and willingness to guest host other programs such as All Things Considered and Morning Edition.
• Ability to collaborate effectively and also work independently.
• Ability to adapt to changing news directives and priorities and new ideas about delivering news content.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Experience promoting programming and content through social and other online platforms.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent/relevant work experience.
Send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Political Reporter” as the subject line.