Sushi Guru is targeting a mid-March grand opening for its new Plaza Midwood location.
Despite mediocre space and decor, SouthPark’s Sushi Guru has earned a reputation as one of the top sushi restaurants in our city. So it makes sense that they’re now launching a flagship restaurant in the heart of Plaza Midwood.
Sushi Guru has a 4/5 rating on Yelp, 3.5/5 rating on Zomato and 4.1/5 rating on Google. The Agenda named it the #9 sushi restaurant in Charlotte.
Sushi Guru’s new Plaza Midwood location is about 30 yards away from Whiskey Warehouse on The Plaza. The exact location is 1217 The Plaza. They’re targeting March 13 as the grand opening date, but my guess is that it’ll get pushed back as they try to finalize construction.
Here are 5 details you need to know.
(1) The two-story restaurant will feature dining on each level, plus two large glass garage doors and a spacious outdoor patio.
The downstairs dining area isn’t large, so expect a lot of dining to take place on the front patio. The second story will have a bar. I’ve also been told that the basement will serve as a wine cellar.
(2) Instead of just sushi, the Sushi Guru’s Plaza Midwood menu will have traditional meat dishes like braised pork belly and skewers.
But don’t worry, you’ll still be able to get innovative favorites like Sushi Guru’s sushi pizza.
(3) Cocktails will impress. A few months ago, Sushi Guru hired a world-class bartender from the Philippines named Michael Tubiera.
Recently, Michael made it to the Diageo World Class Cocktail Global Finals in Miami. You can read his Esquire profile here.
I expect Michael and Sushi Guru to make an immediate impact on Charlotte’s growing craft cocktail culture.
(4) The first floor will have a poke bar, but you’ll still be able to get all your favorite sushi rolls.
Poke, so hot right now. As you’d expect, you’ll be able to create your own poke bowl or choose from Sushi Guru’s pre-set options.
I love poke bowls, but you’ll find me at the second-floor sushi bar watching the chefs create Sushi Guru’s tasty rolls.
The five most popular rolls at Sushi Guru are their Guru Roll, Hamachi Jalapeño Roll, SouthPark Roll, Salmon Lover Roll or the Tuna Lover Roll. Here’s their menu.
(5) Sushi Guru’s Plaza Midwood parking lot is tiny (I think I saw about 15 spaces), so they’ll install 7 car lifts. Yes, car lifts.
I can’t wait to see how exactly how these car lifts work. Depending on cost and ease of use, I could see car lifts being used in more urban hotspots around our driver-happy city.