The role of the VP Communications & Community Relations will report to the Chief Human Resources Officer and serve as an integral partner on the leadership team working closely with senior leaders to position Belk brand optimally. The incumbent will lead internal communications, crisis and issues management, community relations, events, recognition programs and PR efforts for Belk. Additionally, this leader will champion diversity and inclusion strategies for the organization. An essential component of this role is to understand Belk’s foot print and to build strong relationships throughout Belk’s broader community.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
• Responsible for internal communications, D&I, events, PR, recognition and community relations strategies.
Responsible for overall management and supervision of corporate communication including the following
• Monthly and weekly internal publications.
• Newsletters, announcements, management change notifications, etc.
• Press releases and media relations.
• Intranet – The Hanger.
Responsible for corporate and in-store event planning, including the following
• Seasonal strategy meetings and quarterly corporate office meetings.
• Associate recognition events.
• Special events, bridal events, community relations events and in-store events.
Responsible for coordination of corporate charitable giving and community involvement, including the following
• Develop and maintain community relationships with key organizations.
• Expand associate involvement in community relations program.
• Review of charitable requests and recommendation of disposition.
• Communication of corporate community involvement both internally and externally, including coordination with the Belk Foundation.
• Responsible for the integration of Diversity and Inclusion strategies within the organization.
Requirements and qualifications:
Preferred education and experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field of study.
• 15 years of experience working in the communications field.
• Experience working in large corporate environment.
• Excellent presentation and communication skills.
• Executive presence.
• Passionate and energetic leader that embraces leading a cultural change.
• Ability to build strong community relationships.
• Proven management and leadership skills.