In the thick of serious house hunting mode?
Nosy and looking for a cheap date?
Here are your open house picks for Saturday, January 27 and Sunday, January 28.
Picks include a chance to look at some of the city’s most talked-about real estate changes afoot — teardowns and gentrifying neighborhoods — plus choices in popular developments, a notable price drop, and some family-friendly picks with interesting architecture details beyond your typical subdivision house.
1) The teardown
3722 English Garden Drive – $3.25M
- Neighborhood: South Charlotte.
- When: 2-4 p.m. on Sunday, January 28. Leslie Fisher, Ivester Jackson/Christie’s, has the listing, (704) 906-4749.
- Noticed for: Yes, it’s a mansion, it’s a teardown, and if you’ve ever been curious about these places, here’s your chance. The big premium here is for, you guessed it, the land: 9.5 acres in the Carmel-Colony wedge of South Charlotte, allowing for an incredible custom compound for one mighty rich person out there. (Restrictions prevent the property from being carved up into a subdivision). The 1970s, nearly 5,000 sq. ft. house is being sold as is. (Related Agenda stories: South Charlotte ranch house with pool now a teardown asking $2.6M and Teardowns for sale in Myers Park, Elizabeth and Plaza Midwood)
- Listing: “Beautiful 9.5 acres of open land surrounded by tree privacy. Open the electric gates and drive through a green field to a knoll of open land. Rare development opportunity for those who want to be close in town with privacy. The house is being sold “AS IS.“
2) The neighborhood changer
1427 Main Street – $859,000
- Neighborhood: Cherry.
- When: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, January 27, and 1-5 p.m. on Sunday, January 28. Pam Cook, SaussyBurbank, has the listing, (704) 945-2385
- Specs: 4 beds, 4 full baths, 1 half bath, 3,726 sq. ft.
- Noticed for: Cherry’s brand-new construction at luxury price points has made it a focus of gentrification debates. There’s no denying these properties are in a great location for anyone who wants — and can afford — a large, upscale, single-family home this close to Trader Joe’s.
- Listing: “MOVE IN READY NEW HOME in happening Cherry! Open layout with high end finishes and gorgeous trim throughout. Hard to find 2 car garage on corner lot with bright living spaces. Wraparound front porch and screened back porch to expand living area. Elevator ready!“
3) The Elizabeth alternative
513 Union Street South – $269,000
- City: Concord, 28025
- When: 2-4 p.m. on Saturday, January 27. Renda Powell, Carter Group Realtors, has the listing, (704) 619-8594.
- Specs: 4 beds, 2 baths, 2,480 sq. ft.
- Noticed for: Cute 1920s bungalow at Concord, not Elizabeth, price. Right in historic district.
- Listing: “YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS CUTE BUNGALOW RIGHT ON SOUTH UNION! Perfect location with rocking chair front porch and Charleston side garden with beautiful, new outside brick fireplace. Updated plumbing/wiring, new HVAC up and down, 2010 roof, new storage/outbuilding. Short walk to Downtown Concord.
4) Charleston style in Pineville
- City: Pineville, 28134
- When: 1-3 p.m. on Saturday, January 27.
- Specs: 4 beds,3 baths, 2,955 sq. ft. Angela Cerbelli, The A Team – Coldwell Banker, has the listing, (803) 326-1600.
- Noticed for: Fresh take on suburban home exterior design
- Listing: “Stunning 4 BR/3 BA home with countless Designer Upgrades! Dark, Wide Plank Hardwood Floors, Crown Molding, Wainscoting and High End Lighting. The Gourmet Kitchen has a large island, granite counter-tops, tile back-splash, Gas Cook top, SS appliances, Butlers Pantry. Built-ins around the gas fireplace.“
(5) For the modern fans
125 Manning Drive – $850,000
- Neighborhood: Selwyn Park/Barclay Downs area.
- When: 1-3 p.m. on Saturday, January 27. Terry McDonald, McDonald Group at Wilkinson ERA Real, has the listing, (704) 393-0048
- Specs: 5 beds,3 baths,2,986 sq. ft.
- Noticed for: Ultra-modern style in new construction
- Listing: “Recently completed. A modern masterpiece by well regarded RAM Construction. More new than old, it has an unmistakable mid- century modern feel. Taken to the studs,w/new wiring, new plumbing, a 4th level master suite make this contemporary a home to remember.”
(6) For the Birkdale lovers
15624 Gathering Oaks Drive – $342,500
- City: Huntersville, Birkdale, 28078.
- When: 1-3 p.m. on Saturday, January 27. Susan Brooks, Brookside Exclusive Properties, has the listing, (704) 905-7214
- Specs: 4 beds, 2 full baths, 1 half bath, 2,477 sq. ft.
- Noticed for: People who love living near Birkdale really love living near Birkdale. It will be increasingly hard to find single-family homes under $350,000 here.
- Listing: “Welcome to this four bedroom, two and one half bath home located in cul-de-sac in the desirable Birkdale neighborhood. The large great room and dining area are wonderful for entertaining or spending time with the family, while a spare room on the main level is perfect for a playroom or office. The upper level includes spacious Owner’s suite, additional bedrooms and a half bath.”
(7) The roomy escape from Charlotte
13400 Wester Ross Court – $269,8000
- City: Matthews, The Heathers, 28105
- When: 2-4 p.m. on Saturday, January 27. Bobby Sisk, EG Real Estate Consultants, has the listing, (704) 333-2260.
- Specs: 4 beds, 3 baths, 2,620 sq. ft.
- Noticed for: Roomy layout for price point, adaptable rooms and no HOA; listing hilariously mentions Matthews has “Great responsive local government separate from huge Charlotte government.”
- Listing: “Value, quality & convenience in this custom-built home on a cul-de-sac lot in The Heathers. Option to make formal living into bedroom 5 on main floor. New carpet throughout most of home. Two zone HVAC, (2nd floor, ’17). Solid construction with poured-in-place foundation. Insulated 2-car garage.”
(8) For the price-drop watchers
4018 Bridgewood Lane – $589,900
- Neighborhood: South Charlotte, Carmel/Quail Hollow
- When: 2-4 p.m. on Saturday, January 27. Leslie Salls, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, has the listing, (704) 541-6100.
- Specs: 4 beds, baths,2,941 sq. ft.
- Noticed for: The current listing price is a $60,000 drop from last week — a big drop that signals this classic, tasteful family home is looking to move off the market … now.
- Listing: “Fabulously renovated home in Carmel/Quail Hollow area! Two Large Master Suites! Gorgeous kitchen with custom cabinets, granite and stainless steel appliances! Sunroom connects kitchen and garage! Sunken den opens to patio and in-ground pool area. Upper den leads to secondary Owner’s suite with large sitting area and spa like bath.”
Know of an interesting or unusual home listing in the Charlotte region? Tips: firstname.lastname@example.org