BlackRock is a global leader in investment management, risk management and advisory services for institutional and retail clients. At December 31, 2016, BlackRock’s AUM was $5.1 trillion. BlackRock helps clients around the world meet their goals and overcome challenges with a range of products that include separate accounts, mutual funds, iShares® (exchange-traded funds) and other pooled investment vehicles. BlackRock also offers risk management, advisory and enterprise investment system services to a broad base of institutional investors through BlackRock Solutions®. As of December 31, 2016, the firm had approximately 13,000 employees in more than 30 countries and a major presence in global markets, including North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and the Middle East and Africa. For additional information, please visit the our website.
BlackRock’s legal department is seeking to expand its existing team of data, technology and intellectual property attorneys to meet these challenges, specifically with respect to strengthening the execution of strategic investment priorities by increasing support for BlackRock’s partnerships with key data providers and the investment and product development teams that leverage those relationships. This role calls for a creative and intellectually curious attorney comfortable with working alongside senior legal and business leaders to formulate solutions to evolving challenges. To execute on these solutions, this individual must also possess strong analytical, communication and negotiating skills, have a commercially oriented mindset and an understanding of data licensing, data architecture, financial markets and investments. For the right individual, this position provides an opportunity to make valued contributions to the continued growth of one of the most dynamic and respected asset management firms in the world.
On a day to day basis, the role will include focus on understanding business requirements and negotiating arrangements with the firm’s key index and market data providers to BlackRock, working closely with data scientists, model developers and relationship managers for our strategic data relationships. On a longer time horizon, a successful individual will make important contributions to a broader effort to establish an execution framework and risk mitigation strategy that will enhance business impact, mitigate legal and regulatory risk and enable BlackRock to best serve its clients.
The attorney will be a member of a global team of transactional, intellectual property and technology and data licensing attorneys who consistently work closely with the leadership teams across BlackRock to provide both legal and business guidance in support of strategic initiatives and business lines responsible for close to $1b of annual revenue.
• Work with senior attorneys and business team members to evaluate, analyze and frame challenges.
• Support the business development and product development processes by providing key inputs and advice, particularly with respect to the analysis of critical data dependencies that impact investment process, product life-cycle or other operational capabilities.
• Analyze, present and advise BlackRock’s legal and business teams on corporate and business law issues as well as commercial and operational risk management.
• Structure, draft and negotiate inbound data license arrangements with a wide range of providers with the ability to “think through” problems beyond the immediate transaction.
• Work collaboratively with the broader BlackRock Solutions legal team by sharing knowledge, seeking connectivity and relating your specific area of expertise to the group’s broader business contribution.
• Understand and help business teams execute on their data-driven strategies, including by developing a working understanding of technology environments, data deployment and evaluating how specific data needs reconcile with broader data strategies.
• JD with a minimum of 3 years of experience, preferably at a major law firm (secondment experience a plus) or in-house at a corporate legal department. We are open to hiring senior attorneys who are comfortable taking on a more junior position with a view to taking on interesting challenges for a leading industry player as a late-career move.
• Strong analytical, communication and organizational capabilities, typically drawn from corporate transactional, contracts negotiation and/or commercial transaction experience, preferably with background in licensing and intellectual property related matters.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced and business-oriented environment with business groups throughout BlackRock, learn business requirements quickly, analyze legal and commercial risks and propose creative, business-oriented solutions.
• Ability to interact directly with internal business managers and subject matter experts to address the needs of a strategic business initiatives in a thoughtful and practical manner.
• Working understanding of asset management business, institutional investing, investment products, equity, fixed income and other financial instruments and financial market operations.
• Experience in or demonstrated intellectual curiosity about quantitative and systematic investment and/or index or benchmark-driven investment strategies and data science.
• Ability to effectively integrate with a global team of highly collaborative and collegial attorneys and to assess, calibrate, communicate and handle evolving priorities in a dynamic and intellectually stimulating environment.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, veteran status and other statuses protected by law.