“The word theatre… means the seeing place. It is the place people come to see the truth about life and the social situation.” – Stella Adler
The place you come to see live theatre in Charlotte is changing. Theatre is popping-up everywhere! That is evident in the Donna Scott Productions/Historic South End produced ‘The Book of Liz’ play that is popping up at the Charlotte Art League August 6-22.
Donna Scott told us that ‘The Book of Liz’ is a cheese ball comedy from the minds of David and Amy Sedaris, that follows the journey of Sister Elizabeth Donderstock from her sheltered life in the Squeamish/Amish community to the real world. On her way she meets colorful characters, encounters absurd situations, and ultimately figures out what she’s really made of.
Sounds amazing! Can’t wait to see this show!
- ‘The Book of Liz’ by Donna Scott Productions / Historic South End at Charlotte Art League. A cheese ball comedy about finding out what you are really made of in life. August 6-22. Tickets $22. Go
- ‘4000 Miles’ by Three Bone Theatre at Upstage. 4000 MILES looks at how two outsiders find their way through today’s world. August 7-16. Tickets $16-18. This is a regional premier! Go
- ‘Catfish Moon’ by Appalachian Creative Theatre at Upstage. Now- August 2. Tickets $12-15 Go *Note: The author of this article, Collin Beck, is in ‘Catfish Moon’*
- ‘Rock of Ages’ at Actors Theatre of Charlotte. Now -August 15. Tickets $17.50 – $35.00. Go
- ‘Blood Ties’ by The Legacy Theatre Production Company at Duke Energy Theatre at Spirit Square. August 21-22. Tickets $15.00 Go
- ‘Motown the Musical’ at Belk Theatre. August 25-September 6. Tickets $20-129.50. Go
- ‘August Wilson’s Gem of the Ocean’ by Evening Star Productions Inc. at Duke Energy Theatre at Spirit Square. August 28- September 5. Tickets $15-20 Go
For the Kids!
(Infant – 3 y/o) Start attending theatre early in life!
- PlayPlay! It’s a unique way to introduce theatre to kids at a very early age. Their Facebook page says: ‘Instead of a curtain call, all of our shows end with playtime during which our very young audience interacts with all elements of the performance.’ Tickets: $10. Go
A little bit North:
- ‘Almost Maine’ (Part of the Teen Summer Stock) at Davidson Community Players. July 31- August 1. Tickets $6. Go
- ‘Barrymore’ at The Warehouse Performing Arts Center. August 6-15. Tickets $15-20. Go
- ‘Grease’ (Part of the Teen Summer Stock) at Davidson Community Players. August 14-16. Tickets $8-10. Go
A little bit South:
- ‘The Merry Wives of Windsor’ by Shakespeare Carolina at Winthrop University Amphitheatre. Tickets $5. Go (https://shakescar.tixato.com/buy/the-merry-wives-of-windsor)
August is a bit of a slow month for theatre in Charlotte – that just means you can actually see ALL the shows happening! Go support live theatre!
Did you see a play recently? Tweet me your thoughts!
Some photos via Weldon Weaver Photography.