THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. SEARCH OPEN JOBS HERE.
Safe Alliance has been providing hope and healing for people in crisis for more than 100 years. Safe Alliance, whose administrative office is located in Uptown Charlotte, serves as a community resource for those affected by domestic violence and sexual violence through a wide range of programs and services. Each year, the agency assists more than 10,000 people throughout Mecklenburg County and Lake Norman and also reaches thousands more through educational and prevention programs and institutional advocacy efforts. Safe Alliance provides vital, life-saving programs and services including 24-hour crisis lines, hospital and court advocacy, shelter, safety planning, support groups and trauma counseling, legal representation and much more.
Safe Alliance seeks an experienced and strategically-oriented Chief Advancement Officer (CAO) who will be responsible for developing and implementing an aspirational, yet achievable Advancement strategy for Safe Alliance. Reporting to the CEO, s/he will be responsible for achieving fundraising goals in pursuit of the agency’s mission. The CAO will serve as a key internal and external leader for the agency, overseeing the Advancement Department and all efforts related (but not limited) to leadership gifts, giving societies, fundraising events, corporate gifts, planned giving, capital and/or annual campaigns. The CAO will undertake high visibility in the community to represent the unique values of the agency and enhance Safe Alliance’s brand recognition as a leader in our sector, broaden the agency’s prospect pipeline and donor base and expand the community’s understanding and support of Safe Alliance. S/he will oversee a collaborative, best-practice Advancement Department to ensure successful achievement of goals.
Specific responsibilities include:
Advancement and fundraising
• Build and oversee the implementation of an aspirational, achievable annual Advancement plan.
• Meet and exceed fundraising goals, as determined annually during the organizational budgeting process.
• Lead all agency-wide Advancement functions including fundraising and development, special events, volunteer program, database management and usage, communications and marketing.
• Ensure effective cultivation, solicitation and stewardship efforts for key donors and prospects including individuals, corporations, foundations, government funders, the faith community and civic groups through use of innovative strategies and creative implementation.
• Develop and manage contributed revenue generating activities including in-person and written solicitations, special events, mail, online or social media appeals and planned giving initiatives.
• Contribute to planning and execution of the agency’s annual fundraising events, solicit and steward new and past funding partners for events.
Leadership and operations
• Serve as an accessible, collaborative and inspirational leader and mentor for the Advancement Department including 5 or more team members.
• Recruit, train, supervise and evaluate Advancement staff, volunteers and interns.
• Maintain effective development systems and record-keeping procedures to track current and prospective donors and accurately report all fundraising income.
• Prepare, monitor and manage the annual Advancement budget and related financial reports.
• Support the agency’s mission by participating in and contributing to Strategy Team, Administrative Team, Leadership Team and Board of Directors meetings.
• Facilitate, engage and support the Board of Directors in order to meet Advancement goals.
• Serve as an effective liaison internally connecting Advancement work to broader work of the agency as a whole.
Advocacy and outreach
• Coordinate and participate in advocacy/civic engagement efforts on behalf of Safe Alliance and its clients with local, state and national governing bodies.
• Proactively represent the agency at community events, professional societies and in other public roles in order to connect with prospective donors, both individual and institutional.
• Increase community awareness around the issues of domestic violence and sexual assault and the resources provided by Safe Alliance and help lead social change efforts to build a community free of domestic and sexual abuse.
• Communicate the work of Safe Alliance as it relates to intersecting oppressions including racism, generational poverty and gender-based inequities.
• Serve as leader for agency volunteer efforts and better connect such efforts to Advancement team work and goals.
• Understanding and passion for Safe Alliance’s mission, programs, culture and values.
• Excellent communications and relationship building skills, both internally and externally.
• Comfortable and energetic in public roles.
• Strong, proactive and compassionate department leader.
• Knowledge of the Charlotte philanthropic landscape and existing network of local leaders and funders, as well as willingness to identify emerging prospects and build new relationships.
• Ability to maintain the highest standards of sensitivity and confidentiality.
• Bachelor’s Degree and professional association membership.
• Master’s Degree and relevant fundraising certifications are a plus.
• 10+ years of relevant professional experience including (but not limited to) nonprofit management, fundraising, business development and/or executive positions.
• Familiarity with and proficiency in utilizing fundraising data software, such as Blackbaud’s Raisers Edge, is a plus.
Send inquiries, nominations and applications via email to PMA Consulting at email@example.com. Applications should include a cover letter and resume. Please indicate in the subject of your email the position and organization to which you are applying. No phone calls please. Note that only those candidates invited for screening will be contacted.
Safe Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions at Safe Alliance are made without regard to race, religion, gender, sex, national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. Safe Alliance encourages all qualified candidates to apply.