Developers and home flippers are beginning to bet big on the hilly Seversville and Smallwood neighborhoods.
These are the west Charlotte neighborhoods right next to Johnson C. Smith University, just two miles from Trade and Tryon. Areas like these have been at a premium with the current development trend that puts central and urban home locations at a premium.
That’s also made neighborhoods like these ground zero for concerns of gentrification and displacement. Groups like the 5 Points Community Collaborative and the Biddleville-Smallwood Community Organization have been working to bring responsible development and economic growth to the area. It’s a delicate balancing act.
These three homes illustrate how home flipping is currently working in the area.
1509 Sumter Avenue
- List: $489,900. Simon Le, Simon Real Estate Group, has the listing, (704) 215-4961.
- Stats: 4 beds, 3 full baths, 1 half bath, 2,450 sq. ft.
- Former life: The original property and 1936 house sold for $90,000 in 2015
- Noticed for: 3-story design
2434 Rozzelles Ferry Road
- List: $500,000. Jennifer Monroe, Savvy + Company Real Estate, has the listing, (704) 330-8326.
- Stats: 4 beds, 2,503 sq. ft.
- Former life: A 2 bed, 800 sq. ft. home, built in the 1940s, sold for $85,000 in 2016
- Noticed for: Shout-out for leaving the big old tree out front when tearing down the old home to build the new one. Too many developers scrimp on this. Unfortunately, it’s easier (read: cheaper) to level the lot and plant young trees.
405 Coxe Avenue
- List: $499,900. 5 Points Realty has the listing.
- Stats: 3 beds, 2 full baths, 1 half bath, 2,655 sq. ft.
- Former life: Property sold in 2007 for $80,000
- Noticed for: This home is on a street of new construction and has a walk-out basement.
You can also find some freshly redone but more modest homes in the area, like this one.
2401 Roslyn Avenue
- List: $229,900. Michelle Pentecost, HoneyBee Real Estate, has the listing, (704) 659-6999.
- Stats: 2 beds, 1 full bath, 1 half bath, 937 sq. ft.