Director of Development
Healing Hands of Joy (HHOJ) is a not-for-profit organization that exists to bring hope, happiness and a second chance to women affected by obstetric fistula (OF) in Ethiopia. It was established in the USA in 2009 and started operations in northern Ethiopia (Tigray) in 2010.
The goal of HHOJ is to enable women treated for obstetric fistula to resume full and productive lives within their families/communities. HHOJ therefore works to support women to recover from the sometimes devastating impact of OF. This involves restoring their self-esteem, confidence and physical, psychosocial and economic capacity to engage fully and meaningfully as a family and community member. It also aims to improve maternal health especially reducing maternal and neonatal deaths and OF by training women treated for OF to become Safe Motherhood Ambassadors within their communities.
The vision of HHOJ is to empower fistula survivors to successfully reintegrate as self-sustainable contributors and educators about safe delivery, within their communities and to contribute to the reduction of new cases of obstetric fistula in Ethiopia.
Job functions and deliverables:
• Oversee our US-based development team and fundraising strategy.
• Prepare and implement our the 2018 Strategic Fundraising Plan.
• Secure institutional grants and build our individual US donor base.
• Oversee donor relations, grant reports, events and communications including social media.
• Evaluates the results of all resource development initiatives including but not limited to campaigns, events, grant proposals, direct mail campaigns and other resource development programs and recommends modifications or new strategies to proactively support the achievement of development and fundraising goals.
• Collaborates with the Board of Directors, its Committees and the Executive Director to implement the strategic plan.
• Designs, implements and manages all fundraising activities including multi-year giving, grant writing, annual campaigns, planned giving and event planning and solicitations.
Fundraising – donors and foundations
• Works with the Executive Director to develop and cultivate relationships with all public and private donors.
• Creates a working pipeline of donor/prospects to cultivate, solicit and steward in accordance with the Association of Fundraising Professionals’ Code of Ethics.
• Identifies new prospects for making annual gifts, major gifts and planned gifts. Arranges direct asks.
• Supervises and supports annual fundraising events working closely with the Executive Director, Development Associate, Board of Directors and Volunteer Coordinator to obtain sponsorships, volunteer teams and ticket sales necessary to reach budgeted goals.
• Participates in the donor management process to develop strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward all individual donors.
• Advance fundraising strategies through interaction with donors in the community and at all events.
• Seeks and writes grant proposals for Major Funding.
• Supervises maintenance of donor and gift record keeping and acknowledgments.
• Works collaboratively with Donor Services to ensure accurate record keeping, reporting and communicating with donors.
Board of Directors relations
• Reports development activities as requested.
• Assists the board with recommending and researching potential new members.
• Utilizes Board Members where necessary and willing to participate in solicitation activities.
Send CV and cover letter to Executive Director, Allison Shigo at email@example.com.