Chief Marketing and Communications Officer
Each year more than 50,000 people in Charlotte Mecklenburg receive immediate help with life’s most basic needs at Crisis Assistance Ministry. The first step is to prevent an eviction or loss of utilities with emergency financial assistance or to provide clothing, furniture, appliances, beds and household goods to create dignity.
Whereas these services provide dignity and financial stability, the second step creates new economic opportunities through targeted coaching and unique agency collaborations to help people increase their income, improve their health or complete their education. Additional services provide customers access to food resources, training on tenant rights, the healthcare marketplace and more.
The Chief Marketing and Communications Officer (CMO) is a new position that reports to the Chief Executive Officer. The successful candidate will join a dynamic poverty fighting organization to develop and implement a best-in-class marketing, communications and customer advocacy plan for Crisis Assistance Ministry. As the CMO, you will play a key role in shaping a bright future for thousands of citizens and as the first CMO you will evolve the Crisis Assistance Ministry brand and position the agency for continued success. Leading a team of three professionals, the CMO will directly manage a broad range of marketing, communications, public relations and advocacy tools and activities to ensure the mission and strategies of the agency are actively advanced. The CMO will be responsible for building community awareness of poverty and its impacts, the Crisis Assistance Ministry role and response, and engaging customers in solutions that build economic opportunity. The CMO will help build a cross-divisional culture to ensure that marketing and communications functions are aligned with the advancement team in supporting the agency’s fundraising goals. The CMO is the process creator and owner for all external and internal marketing and communications functions across the agency serving customers, volunteers, donors, vendors, staff and collaborating partner agencies.
The CMO will be charged with motivating our community to action with active and consistent communications across all channels. As a member of the leadership team, the CMO will support and engage the talented employees of Crisis Assistance Ministry within a customer-centric culture of respect, teamwork and dignity for all. The CMO will join an agency that rewards and recognizes others and will have deep experience in leading strategic planning and integrated process management that helps reach aspirational goals.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
Community education and civic engagement
Maximizing all channels of communication to educate the community for the benefit of low-income people, the CMO and his/her team will execute the following.
• Educate and engage the community on paths that will help low income people build wealth and assets and increase their economic mobility.
• Advance customer financial security by convening local private and public partners who research, pilot and implement best practices that improve wealth and build assets • serve as the agency liaison to national asset building coalitions, including Washington, DC-based Prosperity Now.
• Communicate the alignment between agency strategies and community human services strategies, including the Charlotte Mecklenburg Opportunity Task Force Report.
• Expand the agency poverty simulation event which educates more than 1000 people annually on the challenges of low income living.
• Find, write and deploy customer stories to advocate with numerous audiences using all communications channels.
• Organize community events and corporate partner summits with authors, think tank experts, local and statewide leaders to educate and engage the community on the root causes of poverty, the challenges of economic mobility and the agency response.
Marketing and branding
To promote the mission and strategic plan of the agency, the CMO and his/her team will execute the following.
• Develop the agency comprehensive marketing strategy and associated campaigns.
• Develop communications plan that creatively sheds a light on the strength and resilience of those served at Crisis Assistance Ministry • promote and protect the brand of the agency.
• Oversee creative development process of all hard and soft copy materials including newsletters, annual reports, blogs, vlogs, website, social media, etc., for customers, donors, volunteers, staff and other targeted stakeholders.
• Ensure adherence to graphic design requirements, brand standards and style guidelines.
• Work jointly with the Advancement Team as a partner on donor engagement and fundraising projects.
Public relations and media
The CMO and his/her team will ensure consistent messaging and communications for all audiences and will execute on the following.
• Manage advertising and media engagements and maintain strong community media relationships.
• Serve as a voice for the organization for all media including rich content development.
• Own the agency speakers’ bureau training and execution.
• Own the agency tour process including related visuals.
• Serve as in-house crisis communications expert available as needed.
The CMO and his/her team will promote employees as our number one asset and will execute the following.
• Create active, consistent and relevant internal communications using multiple technologies.
• Regularly inform and interact with employees to continually hear their voice.
• Integrate agency projects, services and activities through various communications strategies.
The CMO and his/her team will be charged with establishing measurable objectives and providing regular executive-level reports.
Leadership, passion and teamwork
• Proven passion for serving people in poverty.
• Proven desire to use marketing and communications expertise to create opportunities for marginalized populations’ voice to be heard.
• Highly collaborative and energized by a fast-paced environment.
• Praiseworthy senior leadership experience in a servant leader environment.
• Excited about leading in a rapidly changing environment with people dedicated to customer dignity.
Skills and expertise
• Experienced public speaker to diverse groups.
• Powerful presentation development and delivery skills.
• Social media fluent, active across numerous platforms.
• Highly capable of using a plethora of information technology tools to successfully communicate and advocate including Microsoft Office Suite, social media platforms and CRM software packages and extremely comfortable in a rapidly changing technology environment.
• A proven process leader with project management experience and comfort leading in a project management environment. • Deep understanding of measurement and analytics as they relate to marketing and communications.
• Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• Experience marketing to diverse populations using a wide-ranging set of tools.
• Strong in segmentation strategies.
• Experience designing and analyzing performance metrics.
• Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree a plus.
Please send the following to Chief Human Resources Officer Ashley Medford at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line, “Chief Marketing and Communications Officer Interest”.
• Cover letter.
• Product samples.