THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. SEARCH OPEN JOBS HERE.
The principle purpose of the VP, Corporate Social Responsibility is to develop, manage and execute comprehensive community relations and sustainability strategies to positively position the company among key stakeholders. The VP and staff monitor corporate sustainability efforts and managing issues that may arise from third parties seeking to influence the company or threaten its reputation. This position also oversees community involvement. The VP, Corporate Social Responsibility is the primary interface with key community groups related to stated issues and may serve as a media spokesperson as appropriate in coordination with Lowe’s public relations department.
To accomplish this, the VP, Corporate Social Responsibility must have knowledge of brand impact as well as regulatory and political process as well as a competency in issues management and corporate positioning for internal and external audiences.
Responsible for building and maintaining relationships on behalf of Lowe’s with key stakeholders who have the ability to impact/influence the company’s top issues. This person is the company’s primary interface with key community groups, and may serve as media spokesperson on certain issues, and interface with elected officials, as appropriate.
Sustainability and public policy
Responsible for overseeing the company’s corporate sustainability efforts, including monitoring the external environment for trends potentially impacting/influencing the products Lowe’s sells/sources and the responsible way in which the company sites stores and runs its business. This includes overall environmental policy, with focus on wood policy, chemical content of products and communications with NGOs with interest in Lowe’s positions.
Coordinates with cross-functional teams to seek solutions to urgent or emerging issues and crafting appropriate company stances on those issues. Works with corporate communications to develop crisis communication messaging that positions the company in the most favorable light and minimizes reputational damage.
Develops team of high-performing professionals, focusing their efforts on projects that are critical to the company’s success. Obtains and prioritizes resources necessary for team members to achieve performance goals and provides guidance and feedback to facilitate their personal and professional growth and development.
Develops and leverages personal influence to build a highly skilled and engaged workforce by ensuring resource plans drive business strategy; developing strategies for performance management; closing talent gaps; providing feedback to Directors and Managers; empowering and inspiring others to perform at their best.
• Minimum 10 years of experience in community relations, corporate communications, government relations, issues management, or related discipline.
• Must have working knowledge of news media, legislative, regulatory and political process as well as a competency in issues management and corporate positioning for internal and external audiences.
• Responsible for building and maintaining relationships with Lowe’s leadership and among peers, as well as relationships with key outside stakeholders.
• Bachelor’s Degree in public affairs, communications, business administration or related field.
• 10+ years of experience in community relations, issues management, communications.
• 5+ years leadership experience, managing professionals (Director level and above) and subject matter experts.
• 5+ years working with executive management.
• Demonstrated experience setting strategy.
• 5+ years managing multiple large projects simultaneously.
• High proficiency in delivering speeches and presentations to external and internal groups.
• Master’s degree in business administration, communication, public policy or related discipline.
• 5+ years in a Fortune 500 corporate environment.
• Retail experience strongly preferred.
• Experience in a multi-channel, matrixed environment.