THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. SEARCH OPEN JOBS HERE.
Barings is a $288+ billion global asset management firm dedicated to meeting the evolving investment and capital needs of our clients. We build lasting partnerships that leverage our distinctive expertise across traditional and alternative asset classes to deliver innovative solutions and uncompromising service. A member of the MassMutual Financial Group, Barings maintains a strong global presence with over 600 investment professionals and offices in 17 countries. Learn more, at www.barings.com.
Position is responsible for assisting in the maintenance and development of a comprehensive, enterprise-wide investment guideline monitoring program for the firm’s client accounts and products. Position is responsible for assisting in the assessment of the firm’s guideline monitoring risks and identifying breaches to prescribed policies. Requires the use of policies, procedures and manual and automated systems to mitigate these risks and comply with stated client investment restrictions, product mandates and regulatory thresholds. This is a visible position within the organization, often interacting with members of the firm’s Portfolio Management, Trading, Legal, Compliance, Risk and Client Services teams.
• Must successfully monitor investment guidelines for products including, but not limited to: corporate fixed income, public equity, bank loans, private placements, mezzanine debt, real estate, structured products and hedge funds.
• Construct and maintain pre- and post-trade controls designed to avoid/identify breaches to client and regulatory guidelines.
• Provide guidance to business units on relevant operational compliance issues. Resolve and/or recommend to management solutions to operational compliance related issues.
• Remain current with regulatory matters related to the industry generally and operational compliance specifically. Advise management of significant developments.
• Assist with regulatory examinations and other internal audits as appropriate.
• Participate in other department or corporate projects as requested.
• Graduate with minimum of 5 years asset management experience (OCU/Compliance or Middle Office PM assistants).
• Minimum 3 years guideline management experience, using an automated monitoring system (Bloomberg AIM).
• Understanding of US regulations, particularly 1940 Act; ERISA and US State Sector rules.
• Experience working with regulatory agencies (e.g., SEC, FINRA, FCA) and/or a corporate audit environment a plus.
• Effective, results orientated team player with strong interpersonal skills, possess very strong organizational and analytical skills, must be very detail oriented.
• Strong ability to comprehend highly technical regulatory requirements.
• Bloomberg, ThinkFolio and strong Excel experience also a plus.
• Good working knowledge of order generation and dealing process/risk control.
• Reading Prospectuses and segregated mandates to identify relevant guidelines and applicable regulations, and implementing automated controls and supplemental manual checks for non-programmable guidelines.
• Understanding of EU regulations, particularly UCITS.
• Understanding of indices and derivative instruments, knowledge of how these can be used in portfolios.
• Good communicator who has previous daily engagement with investment teams.