Responsible for designing, developing and executing product designs that achieve Belk’s Private Brand objectives and overall product strategy. Participate in research and development of seasonal trends and ensure that designs meet merchant line plans, assortment strategies, price points, and overall creative direction.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
• Strong fashion sense and ability to translate merchant/ market input into highly salable product.
• Create and present design concepts to Product Management, Merchant Teams, Trend Department, Technical Design and Vendor partners.
• Create development sketches for new private brand styles.
• Apply understanding of design process and Private Brands/Merchant’s business objectives to ensure consistency and drive financial results.
• Collaborate with Product Management, Overseas Offices, Merchandising, Trend Department, Textile Design, Technical Design/QA and Vendors to achieve product execution and maintain design integrity.
• Produce cohesive product presentations to sell concept to entire team, including boards, tear sheets and samples.
• Evaluate all meeting and production samples with extended Private Brand team.
• Participate as a member of Private Brand team for continual improvement of product.
Other duties and responsibilities:
• Develop relationships and interact with extended Private Brand teams, extended Merchandising teams, Trend Director, Overseas Offices and vendors to exchange ideas, leverage expertise and streamline the process.
• Ability to travel as necessary.
Education and experience:
• BS, BA in Fashion Design, Fine Art or related field.
• 5 years experience in related field or equivalent experience.
• Demonstrated creative ability.
• Knowledge of design and product development processes.
• Presentation and organizational skills.
• Proven design expertise in a given category.
• Commercial sense and market knowledge.
• Strong listening skills and experience assimilating product feedback.
• Ability to prioritize and manage workload with multiple deadlines.
• Demonstrated proactive thinking, problem solving ability and team player.
• Ability to research and apply market/trend information.
• PC skills, knowledge of design related computer system.