THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. SEARCH OPEN JOBS HERE.
The Director serves as a policy advisor and team manager for Cardinal Innovations Healthcare. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, s/he will serve as a member of the Government Relations team and the Facilities Team. S/he is responsible for supporting the development and management of clear, concise public policy positions and messaging on issues that affect the company and its stakeholders. S/he will assist the Chief Development Officer in implementing comprehensive government relations strategies and policies to promote and protect the company’s interests before federal, state and local governments, as well as federal and state regulatory agencies. S/he will partner with the business units to develop creative solutions, address current and emerging issues that affect the company’s opportunities, proactively impact proposed legislation, and maintain relationships with appropriate government officials. The Director will also participate in legal, regulatory and compliance activities conducted by the Office of General Counsel. Such activates are often impacted by Government Relations initiatives and include risk management, due process, contracting, corporate transactions, ethics, labor and employee matters, healthcare regulations, intellectual property, information technology, tax, and other areas as may be required. In addition to Government Relations activities, s/he will assist the Chief Development Officer with strategic operations associated with various Facilities Team projects including, but not limited to, ongoing dispositions and leasing of properties, vehicle, mobility and purchasing strategies. S/he must have the capability to meet deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment. S/he will be expected to provide a proactive and collaborative approach to the policy and government relations issues associated with a dynamic and growing healthcare organization. Working with the various management teams and business units, the Director must be innovative and entrepreneurial and will create solutions that facilitate the company’s strategy to assure success and growth.
Supervision will be provided by the Chief Development Officer through an annual work plan and performance evaluation, as well as informal guidance and feedback as needed or appropriate. Supervision and guidance on legal, regulatory, and compliance activities will be provide by appropriate Office of General Counsel personnel. The Director shall keep the Chief Development Officer informed of any situations or problems that require discussion, review or an executive-level decision.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Managing and implementing Cardinal Innovations’ comprehensive government relations strategies, policies and program.
• Communicating with and educating company personnel on relevant government relations and policy matters and developments.
• Understanding the company’s business strategies in order to support appropriate opportunities.
• Assisting in the analysis of pending and prospective legislative and regulatory proposals to determine impact on Cardinal Innovations.
• Supporting policy positions on central issues impacting Cardinal Innovations and our industry.
• Monitoring federal, state, county and municipal politics, policies and trends for relevance to the company.
• Drafting regulations and legislation, preparing testimony and developing advocacy materials.
• Working collaboratively with Cardinal Innovations community teams to build and maintain active and effective grassroots advocacy efforts, and to identify and pursue community outreach opportunities.
• Advocating legislative leaders for legislation and policies which support the industry and programs in which Cardinal Innovations participates.
• Maintaining relationships with appointed and elected officials and other external stakeholders. This will include organizing and supporting educational events and meetings to increase understanding of Cardinal Innovations’ business and industry.
• Supporting the company’s communications activities to enhance Cardinal Innovations’ corporate image, reputation management, media relations, etc.
• Coordinating with internal business units for the implementation of passed legislation and regulations.
• Drafting, reviewing and revising internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with newly implemented legislation and regulations.
• Working collaboratively to ensure Board communication and materials align with government relations policy and strategy.
• Responsibility for federal and state lobbying filing and reporting compliance, PAC compliance and administration.
• Managing deliverables for relevant tasks and projects.
• Assisting with litigation and due process appeals involving the company, including compiling exhibits, coordinating witnesses, tracking deadlines, and filing pleadings with administrative hearing offices, and state and federal courts.
• Developing, planning and participating in the implementation of departmental goals. Initiating and recommending actions to accomplish these objectives. Actively participating in strategic planning and goals setting activities pertaining to the assigned areas of responsibility.
• Assisting with various strategic initiatives across various business units at the direction of the Chief Development Officer.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Superior analytical and critical thinking skills, excellent negotiation skills, a strong work ethic, good judgment and an ability to maintain total confidentiality and compliance with the professional responsibility rules for principals, lobbyists, and other government relations professionals.
• Experience interacting with the United States Congress and federal agencies, the North Carolina General Assembly and state agencies, as well as other government entities, with thorough knowledge of state and federal legislative and executive process.
• Ability to analyze legislation, statutes, administrative regulations, court decisions and other precedents, and develop, implement, and manage appropriate strategies, policies and programs.
• Communicates clearly, effectively and persuasively.
• Excellent interpersonal and writing skills, experience in drafting legislation and regulations, strong problem solving capabilities and a clear understanding of the in-house lobbyist role as both a policy and business advisor.
• Public speaking with the ability to present to a wide variety of audiences, both internal and external to Cardinal Innovations.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively work in complex healthcare environments in a highly-collaborative, team-oriented manner, keeping all stakeholders informed and engaged.
• Results-oriented, with a demonstrated ability to drive matters to conclusion and achieve results, including through others, even where no reporting relationship exists.
• Consistently meets deadlines while handling multiple complex projects.
• Demonstrates the highest level of personal integrity and professional judgment.
• Excellent ability to plan and implement strategic initiatives.
• Conducts proactive reviews of high risk issues or processes, initiates and oversees remediation as necessary.
• Tells the Cardinal Innovations story and inspires extraordinary results by engaging others, leading change, valuing diversity and shaping the culture to support a high performance environment.
Required education, training and experience:
Excellent academic credentials and a minimum of 4 years of experience in planning, development, health policy, government relations, regulatory policy, healthcare consulting or managed health care is required. Successful candidates will have experience working with key governmental and non-governmental stakeholders, knowledge of government programs and the managed care industry, and experience in the healthcare industry. A bachelor’s degree is required. A master’s degree in public policy, health policy, health management, public health or related field or a law degree is preferred.
This is an office-based position, but requires work outside of normal business hours and travel. Cardinal Innovations reserves the right to call upon this employee, as needed, to meet the demands of the position.
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.