Cleveland County’s first brewery, slated to open mid-August, is expected to drive tourism from throughout North Carolina and beyond to the small town of Shelby one hour west of Charlotte. If you plan on making the trek in the name of Carolina craft brew, here’s a sneak peek of what to expect at Newgrass Brewing Company.
I ran into co-owner and brewery manager Jordan Boinest on my exploratory tour of Shelby and she walked me through the construction site of her impressive three-story brewery and taproom.
- Beer – Expect 12 craft beers brewed on site, including select seasonals.
- Food – Rare for a beer hall, Newgrass will feature a full menu (shared plates, salads, sandwiches, sausages and even dessert) that sources local meat, dairy and produce.
- Decor – All of the flooring and paneling is reclaimed wood from Dover Mill, an old textile mill that closed over a decade ago.
- Music – A permanent stage is being built front and center on the main floor for regular live music performances.
- Community – Newgrass sends its spent grain to partner farms to use as feed for livestock.
Connect with Newgrass Brewing Co.