The Director of Communications is responsible for the strategic development and execution of integrated communication/marketing plans that support brand strategy and drive consumer demand. The role has direct responsibility for all aspects of public/media relations and digital marketing efforts as well as partnering with cross-discipline teams to develop and execute holistic marketing plans. This position plays an integral role in establishing the Carowinds’ brand in the marketplace. Carowinds offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and is an equal opportunity employer.
• Bachelor’s Degree from a 4 year college or university.
• 8 – 10 years in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or relevant experience.
• Excellent writing, verbal communication and interpersonal skills; on-camera experience a plus.
• News writing and editing experience; journalism experience a plus.
• Experience managing social media channels and campaigns.
• Proven history of managing communication for crisis situations.
• Experience developing and executing large-scale media events.
• High degree of PC literacy, including MS Office applications.
• Highly organized and strong attention to detail.
• Strong verbal, written communication and analytical skills.
• Strong strategic planning skills and brand management experience.
• Highly self-motivated and results oriented.
• Experience in the entertainment industry a plus.
• Ability to pass a mandatory (or random) drug test, per company policy, unless prohibited by state or provincial law.
• Ability to pass a background check, if 18 years of age or older, which may include, but is not limited to, credit, criminal, DMV, previous employment, education and personal references, per company policy, unless prohibited by federal, state or provincial law.
• Ability to work nights, weekends and holiday periods to meet business needs.
• Driver’s license.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Manage development of integrated communication/marketing plans across disciplines that drive key annual business initiatives.
• Lead all aspects of public/media relations and digital channels: social media, website, mobile app and email newsletter campaigns.
• Manage full-time and seasonal teams ensuring all publicity and digital goals are attained.
• Must be a strategic thinker who is comfortable gathering insights and direction from various partners and then applying those insights to development and execution.
• Lead park content/editorial strategies to drive highly engaging content throughout Carowinds various marketing channels.
• Develop strong relationships with relevant media contacts, bloggers and enthusiast groups.
• Proactively pitch media contacts as needed and create unique story angles to increase editorial coverage for Carowinds
• Lead development and execution of large-scale media events with coordination across multiple departments and external partners.
• Ability to lead and/or manage crisis communication plans and respond to media and public inquiries on behalf of Carowinds, as needed.
• Serve as spokesperson for Carowinds to media outlets and other external organizations, as needed.
• Collaborate with external agencies in support of social, PR and blogger/enthusiast campaigns.
• Ability to write interesting, effective and engaging copy including: press releases, blogs, website/social content and various speeches.
• Communicates consumer marketing campaigns, benefits and events to park-wide staff.
• Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations to top management and external organizations.
• Ability to respond to media and public inquiries which may include sensitive information.
• Manages department’s expense budget. Tracks expenses; ensures compliance with allocated funds.
• Supervises duties of subordinate staff. Supervisory duties include instructing, assigning, reviewing and planning work of others, maintaining standards, coordinating activities, allocating personnel, selecting new employees, acting on employee problems, approving employee promotions, transfers and discipline and recommending discharge.
• Adheres to and enforces all Cedar Fair and specific Park policies and procedures, including safety, attendance and EEO policies, and demonstrates commitment to customer service in all aspects of employment.
• Other duties may be assigned.
Send resume with salary requirements by September 20 to email@example.com.