A modern Italian restaurant named Angeline’s and rooftop bar and lounge named Mechant & Trade will open in the Kimpton Tryon Park Hotel this October across from Romare Bearden Park.
- The executive chef for both concepts will be Robert Hoffman, most recently at Kimpton’s SaltRock Southwest Kitchen in Sedona, Arizona.
- The beverage director for both concepts will be Andrew Carlson, most recently at Radiator in Washington, D.C.
Angeline’s describes itself as an “Italian-influenced modern American restaurant” and will face 3rd Street on the ground level.
- Expect craft coffee and espresso and daily house-made bread and pasta. There will also be house-made salumi and fromaggi.
- Vibe will be relaxed, but elevated. I wanted to say “urban chic” but I don’t know what that means.
- Angeline’s dinner menu will include items like: “Roasted Branzino with roasted red pepper coulis, Parisian gnocchi, green onion emulsion and salmon roe; a 45-day Dry-Aged Ribeye with potato puree, glazed cipollini, Point Reyes blue cheese and sauce zingara; and a rich Pan Roasted Duck Breast with sweet potato puree, fried brussels sprouts and saba agrodolce.”
- Beverage menu includes: “Grappa flights, negroni, house-made limoncello, Italian craft beer and amaro join craft cocktails and artisan American spirits and beer, including local craft beer.”
- The restaurant will have a patio and private dining room.
Merchant & Trade, the 4,500-square-foot rooftop bar and lounge located on the Kimpton’s 19th floor, will offer a cool view of Romare Bearden and BB&T Ballpark.
- There’ll be a 1,900-square-foot event lawn space.
- Think handcrafted cocktails and cool music.
- According to their release — “Fire and water features will accent lush greenery to create a sophisticated, yet unpretentious, vibe for al fresco socializing” — I don’t know exactly what this means, but it sounds cool.
- In addition to the main area, there’ll be a VIP private terrace and a semi-private events lawn for fancy events.
- Cocktail program will focus on spirits from North Carolina distilleries, house-made mixers and locally-sourced produce.
- Beer will be available by the bottle or draft. All draft beer will be from Charlotte-based breweries.
- Food menu includes, “Braised Lamb Belly Steam Bun with house kimchi and mung bean sprouts; Fritto Misto with fried calamari, shrimp, smelt and Calabrian aioli; and Oysters served with a seasonal mignonette.”
If you’re looking for a job, Angeline’s and Merchant & Trade are hosting job fairs on Thursday, Sept. 7, from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. at the NASCAR Hall of Fame and at Sugar Creek Brewing Company. Visit www.kimptonhotels.com/careers for details
Executive Chef Robert Hoffman, in a very foodie glamour shot pose that he probably didn’t enjoy but marketing people forced him to endure.